1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"thinner" oil = change more often??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by socal, Nov 13, 2010.

1. socal

socal Well-Known Member

I am. Just that I got the answer after starting this thread. Not sure what all the other posts are about:D

2. MidnightRun

MidnightRun Well-Known Member

i just want an oil with zinc dialkyl dithio phosphate(ZDDP) it's been stripped out of todays oils cause it kills catalytic converters.the zinc is what protects the metal surfaces from touching,when hot is forms a glass like coating thats vital for camshaft break ins when flat tappet lifters are used,excellant in high scuff areas.look for oils with out the "star Burst" logo. you can buy it as a suppliment and add it to your oil. i would'nt use synthetic until after break in.

3. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

i agree however many top AMA teams use the 0/10 Maxima (i know ive changed it in them) and they change once a weekend. I have a few of my 600 built SS bikes running it, or the 0w20 and had zero issues. however we are super anal about watching temps and level and i know what tolerances are in that engine and such.

However the avg racer/trackday guy is far better off sticking to the std 5w30 or 10w40 stuff. Some bikes you have to watch more than others..like 08+CBR1000RR those things burn oil faster than BP in the gulf.

RM you try the ELF HTX? I found pretty good results with it thou again, i would not recommend it if you are not the guy that built the engine (like RM said and i did too..stick to std stuff)

The old Nutec oil REALLY worked well..but fxxk me yuo had to watch it...i think it was less than 0w10...:crackup: