1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of buying a tire machine ??

Discussion in 'General' started by ginness72, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ginness72

ginness72 Well-Known Member

what's up guys , i am thinking of picking up a tire machine and was looking for suggestions from other guys that have owned one . is it really worth it ?? if it is ,what would be the best one ?
    :up:

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I've owned the No-Mar Jr. Pro model for a couple of years now. The thing is worth it's weight in gold, and has paid for itself already if I add up what I would have paid someone else to change/flip my tires since I've had it.

Good, sturdy unit as well :up:

3. ginness72

cool !! i was checking that one out . you have the jr . is it worth upgrading and getting all the goodies ? or is the jr have everything you need,do the paddles and all the other things come in handy .

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I thought the full Pro model was a bit overkill for what I wanted to do, imo, which is why I went with the Jr Pro.

I bought the changer with the breaker bar, wheel balancer, extra hands, etc. as a kit. Took about 15 minutes to anchor it in the garage floor properly.

Once you change your first couple of tires it becomes second nature. Takes me under an hour to do the front and rear, from taking the wheels off the bike and changing/flipping the tires to balancing and re-installing the wheels.

5. boomboom929

boomboom929 Largely unsupervised

+1 on the No Mar...I love mine

6. ginness72

ya the pro is a bit overkill imo also , i was looking around and found they have the ultimate 2 on egay for $775 shipped , i thought that was pretty good. they have the cycle hill one as well but your bead breaker is on the floor. didn't like that idea as much,with scratching the rims and all. still trying to think about the dough it's going to cost, although i could tell all my bro's and get someone to go in on it with me.
    I can't see paying the dealers around here $30 bucks a tire to swap tires then they want $15 bucks to balance each one before you know it its almost $100 with tax every time you do a swap. :beer:

7. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

I also have the No Mar, don't know how I ever lived with out one. They pay for them selves real quick if your at the track alot.

8. ginness72

ya , when i have been hitting the track in NH all the tire guys are there and do the swaps for nothing, but sometimes they get jammed up from everybody bringing in set after set, dude when you get racing you are trying to get set up there never enough time. it's been close to missing a race on a good set of because you couldn't get them quick enough, it would be nice to have one at home to be able to show up for the weekend ready to go!!!

9. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

i have a Coates changer- it cost about 800 new, but I got a bunch of my ridin buddies to go in on it with the understanding they could use it whenever they want so it only cost me 100 or so. Mount it to a 4' by 4' sheet of 3/4 plywood and it's portable too. You can change tires faster than you get em on/off the bike.

10. ginness72

well you must have the RC-50m rite, how hard is it to get thing around ? how long ago did you guys get it ? is that still what they are going for around $800 ??

11. pawpawrc

Mine is the 220- it might go for a little more now. It's not hydraulic or anything, but I like it better for mag or carbon rims- I feel like i have a little more control. It's really pretty easy to move if you mount it to the plywood, and if you stand on the plywood it gives you all the leverage you could need (trust me changing cold-ass slicks when it's 20 degrees out you need leverage!) I can get in the back of a trailer by myself no problem. I used to use it to change tires at track days (while wearing full leathers in between sessions) in SoCal when there were no tire guys available- pays for itself REAL fast if you sell your takeoffs.

12. ginness72

ya no kidding , i plan on doing a full season this year and selling take offs will be a big part of my season.
    I looked at the website and didn't see the 220 model ( i might be a little blind ) they show four models for bike's and i think the 50 is the only one that's not hydro. unless they changed the ##

13. 4yamahas

4yamahas Well-Known Member

I have the no mar classic model setup on a trailer hitch mount. Just slide it in the hitch receiver and go to it. Doesnt have to have a designated place in the garage that way , can stash it in a corner etc. and is mobile.

14. ginness72

hey paw , I did end up coming across the that 220 model tire machine, that looks like a great little tire changer. It did end up going up in price, they are $1055 delivered now. I can see how you would have it set up and seems pretty good. But if i had to spend the doe i'll prob go with the no-mar with the hitch mount and the base for home.

15. pawpawrc

Cool, when I bought it that was the one I was using at a bike shop where I was working so it made sense to me. I don't know about the others so my advice is to don't cheap out too much- in the long run it's worth it to have a nice one. Have fun!

16. dt rr

dt rr Well-Known Member

i have the no-mar classic. will be mounting it in my trailer when i get one, so that it'll be outta the way from the garage and be ready at the track when i need it. takes about 5min a tire to change and i absolutely love it.

17. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

i have one of the cheap red ones and while it is an aggravating piece of crap i have managed to change at least 100 tires since i've had it, scratched rims and all. i couldn't ever go back to paying someone else regularly. the no-mar works well the times that i have used it. finding reasonably priced balance weights was my biggest issue.
    tim

18. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

I have a jr pro and have done 47 tires in a year and a half. I like it quite a lot, my breaking point was when I had to drive 40 miles each way and was charged $25/tire. By the end of this year it will be paid for.

I have done 8 car tires now and probably won't do anymore, if you think you might ever want to do car tires get the pro model.

cmb

19. Racer 23

Racer 23 Well-Known Member

I found a used Coats RC100 for $1500, and will never go back to a manual changer. This is the motorcycle specific changer, and as an added bonus, it works like a charm for car tires as well.

Fred

20. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Ditto...I have an RC100 as well. Makes life easy...especially when it's cold...