1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ultimate RC Car Race

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Everything you discussed , ie "feel" is definable in physics. Give enough sensors and enough computing power and the machine will push it to 99.9999%. It's already happening in drone fighter jets, they're getting close to human performance with the added benefit that they can pull enormous G's that a pilot can't. Still, I couldn't give a rat's ass who has the better AI when it comes to racing. If there's not a human putting his ass at risk, so what?

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

If they can't already run a race faster than a human, then I'm sure they're close and they will be able to very soon. With all the tech that's available in just base model road cars now, such as lane keep assist, follow distance control, and auto braking, I'm sure a purpose built race car can be quite capable. As far as managing the variables, such as tire wear and fuel load, I don't foresee that being a problem either. TCS, ABS, STM, torque vectoring systems, etc. have all been around and under constant development for decades. Just look at what some cars are capable of off the showroom floor now, particularly in AWD. They can navigate some rather extreme terrain, all through automated traction management.

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

That's my thought. Taking the pilot out of the equation I'm sure would make it boring. All the cars would be settled into their permanent positions after the first couple laps. The fastest car would simply always be in front. Only thing that might change things up a little would be various cars ability at managing tire wear and fuel consumption but but even that I think would have minimal impact.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

F1 already has telemetry outside the car for track temp, weather, etc. Their internal telemetry already shows when tires are overheated, when a suspension arm is damaged, when loads change the smallest amounts. Adding enough sensors to take care of all aspects that go into putting in 60 consecutive perfect laps is already possible. With enough sensors, enough programming, and enough testing, an autonomous car will be faster than a driver. The machine won't have as much variability. Every lap will be 99% for the conditions, which is way faster than some at 99% but most <95%.

All that is probably the "easy" part, ie its already feasible. I think the hard unknown part is programming what happens when you have 2+ autonomous cars on track in a race. Responding to external events - other cars - while also pushing at 99% is way harder than doing QP laps. The "while pushing" part doesn't really apply to street cars either.

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

The robot needs to have a certain amount of desire or incentive to beat the other bots. That's where the racing is.