1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'The Purge'

Discussion in 'General' started by Past Glory, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I just saw the trailer for a movie due out soon called 'The Purge'. The premise is that America has reached an idyllic state of prosperity and low crime by allocating one day a year for people to "vent". On that day, all emergency services are suspended for 12 hours and there are no consequences for any act you desire to commit. This allows people to get all violent and crazed notions or fantasies out of their system so the other 364 days of the year run smoothly and safely. The story centers around one family. They don't participate and they have a securely "locked down" home, but the daughter hears the pleas of someone who is being hunted and allows him in and the hunting party demands his return or they will kill the family.

I have two questions as to this:

1) If there were no consequences, anything goes, would you participate?
    2) If you weren't of the mind to participate but were faced with someone fleeing mortal danger, would you help?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1 - no
    2 - of course

3. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I'd be forced to participate.

I'd have so many angry ex-spouses trying to gun me down each year, I'd have to buy an armored troop transport vehicle. :crackup:

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Wasn't that a Star Trek episode?

5. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Was it? Hmmm... I don't recall that one.

That would be nuts.... for 12 hours... Zombie apocalypse.

6. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

hopefully my ammo supply would last for 12 hours

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I seem to recall an episode where they found a people who were peaceful and nice until a certain time of day (or a bell rung or somesuch), then they all went "apesh*t bananas". Hour later and it was back to normal.

8. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

yea, cuz EVERYONE would want some 'a Ol' Walker! :D

I knew this would be right up your alley.

9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

<sigh> Just like zombies....

<sigh> ... buy a boat...

At least with a "purge", you know its coming every year - Just take a vacation that week...

On the other hand, America would also get "terror tourists" during that time... Think about it - it would become like a new safari/adventure vacation destination. The rich adventurer/explorer stereotypes would never hunt elephants again when they could hunt man...

10. james walker

maybe i didn't mean 12 hours of 'defense', maybe i meant 12 straight hours of 'purging' motherf@ckers. depends on my mood that day i guess :Poke:

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What if the person scrabbling frantically at your door were Putter? Or worse, Metalhead.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Seems like a stupid premise to me, kinda like a Rumspringa for the Amish, but for everyone and annual.....plus murder lol.

And who the fuck gets to clean up all the carnage the day AFTER the free-for-all? I bet they get that same poor bastard who has to sweep up Times Square after the NYE ball drop.

[​IMG]

13. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

So society would be like one giant Harlem Shake video?? All relatively calm, boring and then all bizarre hell breaks loose..........

14. james walker

^^ wtf? they don't have leaf blowers in NY? he must be union, i could have a 2 man crew of good ol' GA landscapers sent up there to clean that up in a half hour and a fraction of the cost. Jose don't f@ck around :D

15. CharlieY

Well, I did forget you were a badass (on here).....sorry.:rolleyes::D

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  16. james walker

why must you keep inferring stuff? :rolleyes: :Poke:

badass? no. surly, cantankerous and/or disgruntled? yes. :D

17. CharlieY

Naaa man....I just wanna make sure that if this does happen, that you'll come visit.:up:

You are too young for cantakerous....disgruntled, well, OK.:D

18. james walker

well, if it ever did happen, i believe the roads would be too unsafe for my liking...to travel that far to your side of town anyway. i'd probably be content to sit at home and pray for home intruders, looters and those up to no good. :cool:

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Umm...you'd be out of business in 364 days...