1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The passing of a great Alaskan

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Dec 12, 2015.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I just thought I would share this. I doubt many of you will find this of interest, but it is significant to me. Today we had a funeral at the school where I am the principal, here in Galena, AK. The funeral had to be held at the school in our gym, because there is no other facility large enough to accommodate the number of people expected to attend. The funeral was in honor of our leading elder in the community, region and state, Sidney C. Huntington. He was 100 years old. He was a strong voice for education and against suicide. He was an advocate for Native rights and argued against expecting something for nothing.He served the State for over 20 years on the state board of fish and game, a volunteer position that took heat from the government and the public, but he continued to do the right thing. He served 21 years on the Galena City School Board where he was instrumental in making sure that native students didn't have to get a substandard education. He only had a third grade education and an honorary doctorate. He was instrumental in creating the City of Galena into one of the few First Class cities in Alaska with a population of 600, compared to Anchorage, Fairbanks and Juneau.
    He wrote a book "Shadows on the Koyukuk", his autobiography that I can't recommend enough. Everybody should read it. Use the Google, it is available on Amazon, even Kindle.

Finally, I am the last principal at the Sidney C. Huntington School while he was alive and I guess I am the first principal at the Sidney C. Huntington School since he has passed. It is not surprising that gym was full when you are eulogizing the man for whom the school is named in the gym where he watched every home game for the past 40 + years.

Do yourself a favor and Google Sidney Huntington and learn a little something about a great American. I was honored to know him.

Ken

Yzasserina likes this.
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Sorry about your friend. RIP.

3. joec

joec brace yourself

Hey ken, sounds like he was a great guy. Sorry to hear.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

RIP Sidney.

5. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Sidney was truly a great Native leader, and you all should read his book--amazing tales of living, hunting, fishing and trapping in the Alaka Interior, in -40 or colder temps. Any outdoors guy or hunter/fisherman would be amazed by how he and others prospered in that environment, with only traditional gear--no Goretex, or goose down. Years ago I did a lot of work in Galena and got to know him, his sons, and other leaders in Galena. He was the real deal. Just a year ago, just before she went to med school, my daughter shadowed his daughter in law, the doctor in Galena, and his influence still held, at like 99 years old then, him, his family and their values helping the community. She brought me back a signed copy of "Shadows on the Koyukuk," a great read. Y'all should get it, like Ken says. This guy was the real deal up here, one tough dude.

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

It sounds like a life well lived. Enjoy the celebration of a good man.

I'm going to go order the book now.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Sounds like an amazing guy

8. kenessex

I guess I met your daughter when she was out here with Dr. Tammy. My wife was working at the clinic at the time and I remember seeing some young lady with the Dr.

9. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Godspeed, Sid and condolences to the people of Galena.

Yzasserina likes this.
  10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Shadows on the Koyukuk is a great book, thanks for introducing it to us. Very easy read, reminds me of the storytellers I grew up around. I recommend this book to anyone interested in how to thrive in a hostile environment, and also how an environment shapes a person.

11. kenessex

Glad you liked it. His brother Jimmie wrote a book, too. I haven't read it and I forget the title, but it is supposed to be a good read, also.