1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Monty Hall Problem

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragginass, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

In honor of his passing, let's discuss the following:

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

[​IMG]

2. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I don't need a car.

3. condon66

Or a goat.

4. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely, you change your original pick t0 the other available door. It increases your odds of winning the car.

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's easier just to go buy a car.

BigBird likes this.
  6. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

My eyes go cross-eyed when we go to bingo and then I scream out BINGO! before Ive even got it.........the old folks get PISSED!!:crackup: Theres no way in hell I could go on a gameshow.

joec likes this.
  7. G 97

G 97 Garth

Goats are cool.

[​IMG]

Steeltoe likes this.
  8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

You switch doors. Learned that on a movie :D

9. joec

joec brace yourself

How about I just give you 5oo bucks cash instead right now?

10. condon66

I'll take the 500.

joec likes this.
  11. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Doesn't matter. Either I get to drive a new car, or eat well and have some awesome goat cheese.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

:eek:

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

There was a 33 1/3 percent chance that you would pick the door with the car on your original pick.

With the second choice offered, there's a 50 percent chance that you will select the door with the car.

Change your pick.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The first pick and the second pick are totally different experiences....no reason to change. Now if he offered 51%+ cash (cost of the car), after showing you one of the doors with the goats...take the cash.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Is the goat rocket powered?

16. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

Uh, what? At stage 2 you have already picked one option on a coin flip. Why bother changing.

(minus of course the psychology factor of the game show host knowing the doors options and his actions tipping a favor one way or the other [tells], if showing a non winning door isn't standard practice).

It doesn't matter if you change your pick or not since it's a coin toss. I'd keep my pick only to remove the embarrassment if the car was in door 1, and I had changed from winning to a losing door because of effectively worthless information of the 3rd door (and irrelevant in second round) being a loser.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The question is silly because making a new choice changes your odds sure but switching doors doesn't make it more likely you'd actually win since you could just as easily now choose the same door...

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Actually, I was wrong: changing doors improves your odds to 2/3. If your original pick offered 1/3 odds, the remaining door MUST contain the rest of the possibilities, therefore it's 2/3.

Mind f**k, I know, but true.

19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

No I wouldn't change my choice. Especially since the host knows what is behind the door and suggested #2. He could be paid to suggest a door with a less expensive prize, but that's only speculation. As mentionned above, it's a 50/50 guess then.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Only way changing to the other door when you're down to a 50/50 shot is better than 50/50 is fuzzy statistics math :D

Lazy Destroyer likes this.