1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The helicopters man, the helicopters!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by joec, Apr 17, 2016.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The mildly psychotic retired guy down the road from my house who accused a family member of spying on him by flying government drones over his house would like to speak with you.

JTW likes this.
  3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

UH-1? Who's still flying Hueys?

I'll one up you. There is a single AH-64 that roams around here from time to time. One night it sat in a hover just over the trees while we were playing rec league softball.

4. joec

joec brace yourself

Its actually a bell 412 I found out. The department of nuclear something has been "measuring radiation levels" all over the country apparently. They surveyed boston harbor even. Weird.

It definitely flies super low.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

Actually.....its a bell 212. .twin blade.I think..

6. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

joe - you might like this one: I came home after working out of the country for a few weeks and behold!- across the street and a few houses down there's a swarm of CSI and hazmat suited guys running around. First thought that popped into my pointy head was " Great - we have a meth lab on our block". Well, turns out it wasn't meth. Apparently the guy living there had decided that he would steal a bunch of smoke detectors, break them down and sell the precious metal bits. Smoke detectors also have low level radioactive bits in them too. He had enough in the house that it was sufficiently hot to get picked up by the eyes in the sky.

joec likes this.
  7. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Sitting in a park on the Baltimore waterfront enjoyng my lunch on this lovely day, and as I'm reading this thread just now, an Army Blackhawk flies by!

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

They're on to you man. :D

9. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Took em long time enough!

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I get military helicopters flying over all my house the time. Not hovering so I think they haven't caught on to me yet. I am pretty sure I am in the flight path between Ft. Belvoir and the Pentagon. However, it is the dang Ospreys that rattle everything in the house when they go over.

11. joec

joec brace yourself

The ospreys are super cool to see flying down there around the 95 bridges. The helicopter I keep seeing has a black or dark blue lower belly, white top half, and one of those big army airforce star with bars flanking it on the nose belly..booger, I know you've seen this thing.

12. Banditracer

Being 70 miles from Fort Drum I see military stuff flying over all the time. Sunday we got out for the first ride of the year, saw 3 helicopters together, don't know my aircraft. They were the big twin rotor jobs for lifting heavy shit.

13. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I live and work about 15-20 miles from Fort Indiantown Gap. You haven't seen disconcerting helicopter activity until you've been followed by an Apache helicopter for the entirety of a 35 mile bicycle ride. I swear they were testing their weapons targeting system on us!

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No, they were just pissed because you were taking up the entire lane and wouldn't move over to the right to let them pass!

jkhonea and TakeItApart like this.
  15. freedomgli

freedomgli Well-Known Member

16. Banditracer

17. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

1st Helo Squadron at Andrews. Their callsign is Mussell.

They always pass my house on the way to Mt Weather.

18. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

Yep, saw it this morning.

Looks like an HMX-1 Huey.

19. joec

joec brace yourself

20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

They do R&D at an airport close to me. I have heard hovering at night and know that in the past they have 'tested' IR in the area.