1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Have you all watched the latest episode of the Toto Wolff show?

[​IMG]

cpettit, Chino52405, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  2. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

BigBird and Photo like this.
  3. rd400racer

That's not very polite of Sir Lewis.

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I mean honestly who cares? At least no one will have to listen to Hamilton spout off about his political beliefs.

BHP41 and DrA5 like this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How so? I think he played it perfectly. Congratulated Max after the race, showed up at the podium, respected the fans, and went home (or wherever). After that, I can see why he wouldn't want to be around anyone involved for a while. And that's a legitimate FU to the FIA, not to the fans. The ceremony is not even on TV.

By the way, not showing up at the year-end ceremony is taking a page straight out of the Rossi playbook. This year was the first time I have seen him since 2014. And it's not like he has to travel or anything. It's held in Valencia on the evening of the final race. :D

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

When do you ever have to? Someone forcing you? I can't remember the last time I sat there listening to him talk about something that wasn't F1. But then again, my remote control works. :)

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

It's not like I don't appreciate that he and other racers are activists, good for them, but much like basketball and soccer I don't watch, and pay good money, to be preached at about anybodies political beliefs. The is "someone forcing you" statement is moot. I pay every year to watch racing. Since there is no way to avoid it during their broadcast then they are in fact forcing me to watch it if I watch the only available legal broadcast of F1. If they had a 10 minute piece at the end of the broadcast and told me that they were going to air the drivers political statements then fine I could just turn it off.

8. rd400racer

I was really just making a joke on the fact that since he is now a knight, he should be the epitome of manners:D

dobr24 likes this.
  9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Don't you know you cannot say anything that could be misconstrued about Sir Lewis?

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Again, I have never heard him make political statements with his helmet on. And that's pretty much all I watch. I'm usually watching other kinds of racing during the pre-race show, and rarely bother with the post-race interviews. If it weren't for you guys bitching on here, I wouldn't know that Hamilton discusses politics every weekend.

VFR#52 and BigBird like this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Don't be salty. It's unbecoming.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I sure hope Hammy doesn't walk away; I'm looking forward to the youtube highlight vids next year of Russell taking it to him!

dobr24 likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yep, I have missed Rosberg over the past five years. I'm glad they're finally putting someone in the other car again who is there to compete.

motion and dobr24 like this.
  14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Quite the contrary, I like LH. He is an amazing driver, he stands by his convictions and has amassed an amazing following due to his accomplishments. All admirable traits. I think the series would lose out if he left. (He wont, he's nobody without F1)

What I don't care for is that his fans jump your shit every time you question anything he does or says. They do this while having a very short memory about his past.

The following statement was about LH and his dangerous pass attempt of Felipe Massa in 2011 at Monaco. Sure sounds like the tables have turned.
    "Many readers will not agree with my views or my interpretation of events at the 2011 Monaco GP. Fair enough, I only ask them if they think F1 is better represented by the aggressive spirit of Lewis Hamilton, or by the whining of Felipe Massa.
    For me, the answer is obvious. Go get 'em, Lewis." So agressive driving is OK if its LH but not anyone else?
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/653508-lewis-hamilton-and-dangerous-overtaking-another-view

And lets not forget that Lauda called LH "completely mad" and said that his driving style would get someone killed at one point.
    https://www.crash.net/f1/news/170305/1/hamiltons-driving-will-end-in-someone-getting-killed

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I didn't mean salty towards Hamilton. I meant salty in reaction to the realization that you can indeed follow F1 without being subjected to his political opinions.

And for the record, the last time I was rooting for a Mercedes since Rosberg retired, Russell was driving it. Get it right: I'm rooting for the deletion Michael Schumacher's records. And against the Dutch catfish. It just so happens that both involve preferring to see Hamilton win. :D

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Just for the record, Lewis will be what? 37 years old next year....in this day and age, that's ancient in most sports. If he's even in the top 3, I think that's an accomplishment.

Since 1993, there hasn't been a champion older than 38. Lewis, is the, err...should have been the oldest champion in 28 years.

When he won his last championship at 35, he became the 9th oldest since the start of F1. A majority of the older champs were in the 60s, where it was commonplace for the oldies to be racing. So in the last 28+ years, he's the oldest champ

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

He will be 37 in January.

18. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting for sure. He has all the makings but a lot of guys get that tier 1 ride and get crushed by pressure. Here's to hoping the cars are balanced next year and George is up for it.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He's a special one. I have believed in him since he handed Lando his ass in F2. I think he will do fine.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don’t know about the Hamilton/ Red Bull/ fim/ broome/ giant monkey blow up and I’m just okay with Hamilton not being champ going into next season. Whatever, don’t care.

I do care about Bottas going to Sauber and how he’ll do for them. :D
    Hmmm, a Sauber world championship in 2022? :D