1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I love it when the car gets light and spins up around 15 seconds in

VFR#52 likes this.
  2. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I will say, vibration canceling onboard cameras now do the drivers an injustice. Seeing how Senna bounces around, with one hand off the wheel to knock out shifts, with a car that looks twice as fast as the ones we have now, but would be 10 seconds slower, elevates their legend status.

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

The onboard video is great. The person that thought that it needed music overlaid with the track sounds needs some talking to though.

4. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Does anyone know what the cost of tickets are going to be for the Miami event next year?
    I have pricing for VIP areas but nothing for individual days etc.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  5. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I've only heard $5k for pit pass. A buddy is on some list for updates, but that is the only info he's received.

6. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Yea those are the same updates/prices I’ve had so far.
    I think if I’m reading the updates right they might announce regular tickets later this month.
    Thanks

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

[​IMG]
    Press Release from today
    Testing has been completed on Pirelli’s new 18in Formula 1 tire, which will replace the 13in tire for next year’s season. The program was concluded with a wet tire test in France at Paul Ricard, performed by Daniil Kvyat who is a reserve driver for Alpine.

The move to low-profile tires represents a step-change in motorsport technologically. It required an intensive research and development regime to create the tire from a blank sheet of paper. Every element of the tire has been re-thought, from the profile to the structure to the compounds. Testing also had to be exceptionally thorough. More than 10,000 hours of indoor analysis were conducted and more than 5,000 hours of simulation. Over 70 prototypes were developed virtually, 30 of which were taken into physical form and analyzed on-track. A total of 392 sets were used, the equivalent to 1,568 tires.

Evaluation work began at the end of 2019 but was disrupted when Covid-19 hit. In 2021, the program resumed, with test hours amounting to 28 days. A total of 4,267 laps were driven, adding up to more than 20,000km of driving. Overall the tire has been tested over 36 days. Almost all the teams took part in the regime, including 19 drivers, 15 of whom are regular competitors in F1. According to Pirelli, their feedback was invaluable in making the final refinements to the tire.

Mario Isola, head of F1 and car racing, Pirelli, commented, “With this latest wet test we finally close our development schedule for the new 18in tires. Last year, the Covid-19 pandemic meant that we had to revise our test program entirely, cancelling on-track testing to concentrate on simulation as well as virtual development and modeling. This system of virtual screening helped us optimize the number of physical prototypes produced and return to on-track testing for 28 days throughout 2021.

“We started off the development process with the profile, before moving onto the base construction, and finally homing in on the five compounds that we will homologate for next year. The results obtained up to now have been arrived at with the input of the drivers currently competing in the championship, a vital aspect for us, albeit using mule cars.

“Next year, we will still have some test days at our disposal, which will allow us to fine-tune the 2022 tire with the new cars if needed. Once the specification has been validated by the FIA, the drivers will have the chance to try out the definitive 18in tires at the test after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, although we will have to wait for next year’s pre-season tests to see these tires in action on the 2022 cars for the first time.”

Yzasserina likes this.
  8. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

That's on par w/ the Austin pricing, so maybe the same for gen pop too?

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

French commentator: "Here is Schumacher on a qualifying lab. Probably in the car that you drove last year."

Grosjean: "well, my is kinda broken."

tiggen and Yzasserina like this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

They just showed that flaming octopus at COTA.

French commentator: "Looks like they found your car."

Grosjean: "Yep, same aero configuration too."

tiggen and Yzasserina like this.
  11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Papa, you been drinking?! :Poke:

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What are you talking about?

dobr24 likes this.
  13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Just not following? Sounds like gibberish. Lol

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Danica Patrick commentating. Kill me now.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Watch yesterday's qualifying. You will know when the pictures match my posts.

dobr24 likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wanna see a flaming octopus.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know if it was some kind of Halloween prop but it was hard to miss.

18. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I know, right. Just can’t do pre-race nonsense.

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Q1, 2, or 3? I watched yesterday but obviously missed it. Now I’m interested.

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Shouldn't you be working instead of goofing off on the interwebs, jeez?