1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

He's part of the Mercedes...realm... no doubt they had to pay Williams, but they likely weighed that against the accelerated experience he will gain in the car to suss out whether their preliminary observation that he could be Hamilton's successor was considered. As for Williams, they got cash and Russell's experience, and he is contracted to ride for them next year. Anecdotally, Russell and Vandoorne are the only two people who were fitted to the car this year, so in IMO, no one else was seriously considered.

VFR#52, Razr and BigBird like this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Does Toto still have all those jobs? He seemed to have more power than Bernie did

3. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

He deserves to drive a real car. I'm a huge fan of how he has handled himself in all aspects of his first 2 seasons.

Yzasserina and r1owner like this.
  4. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Toto is an interesting guy. There's a video of his career on YT. Busy right now, but remind me to post it up on the YT thread if you don't get to it on your own...

VFR#52 and BigBird like this.
  5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Bets on where Russell finishes this weekend?

I'm no die-hard F1 fan, but it's obvious even to the casual observer that the Mercedes is far-and-away the best car on the grid.......so the prospect of him immediately finishing either 1st or 2nd (or even a close 3rd) would only cement my long-time hang-up with the series:

All of these drivers are talented, but the the machinery is 90% of the winning equation....if not more.

6. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Bottas better hope he destroys George.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think Russell will finish top 3, unless something untoward happens. In F1, its mostly the car.

8. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

What? So Bottas, Verstappen, Perez, Ricciardo and Sainz just evapoarated? And I'm not super familiar with this layout, so Leclerc and Vettel could sneak in there too....

Hhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhhhaaahhahhahaaahh...

I am ready to eat crow.

Bring it.

VFR#52 likes this.
  9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Top five, well done you.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He brings a big name and a huge talking point to the team that Haas needed.

Got to wonder how much $$$ Nikita Mazepin brings with him and they need that as much or more.

11. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I'm thinking a metric ton. Not sure how that equates to an asston.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This is the most exciting thing to me happening in F1 in the past couple of years. If it weren't for that gimmicky course they will be racing this weekend, I would be confident that Russell will win the race on Sunday. Sad coincidence that this happens on this particular track configuration, which makes anything possible. Perez? Albon? I'm putting money on all those mofos.

NemesisR6 and OGs750 like this.
  13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Soooooo... I think Romain Grosjean should retire as an active driver from F1. Be a test driver. I screamed when that crash happened. I was an early fan of his, but it fell off after awhile. That horrific incident at Spa... There is no doubt, no doubt, that he is a gifted and skilled driver, but it is hard to overlook the... lapses in judgment? he has... and has had, throughout his career.

It's funny, I was talking to @fastfreddie the other day about the incident, and how we compared it to the absolute regard Franky and Jack had, and communicated, toward one another when they were duking it out in the last two races, and how much they appreciated it, and how much they they trusted and respected themselves and one another, and the sport...

I just don't think he gets it, at that level. I absolutely realize that sounds absurd.

What say you?

14. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I think Hamilton is done for the year because of covid rules. I would guess Grosjean is done, hes ready to be a family man.
    If Russell beats Valteri in either Q or the race, I wouldnt be surprised if we see a driver switch for next year. If Russell is within half a second of Valter, its Russells seat in 2022.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Its super fascinating! If Russell beats Valteri, I'll have a bunch more reasons to hate F1!!!

NemesisR6 and BigBird like this.
  16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I saw most of the GP2 races the year Russell handed Norris his ass before they both moved up to F1. He is the real deal.

17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

That's one hell of an advertising tagline.....

18. hdrk2006

hdrk2006 Well-Known Member

He’s tested the Mercedes before and I’m sure he will have been in the simulator. It won’t be completely foreign to him. The days he did test for Mercedes he was top of the time sheet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  19. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Top 10 for sure, top 5 only if he’s super lucky and only way he wins is if Verstappen and Bottas take each other out. The Merc may be the best car on the grid but it’s ridiculously hard to drive and keep the tires under you.

20. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

He is very quick to complain or blame others which leads me to believe he is incapable of seeing how his actions measure up in any circumstance. You know when two people have any sort of even minor incident in life and someone immediately takes majority responsibility whether deserved or not? I don't sense Grosjean has ever been that guy.

BigBird likes this.