1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Absolutely, but one could argue that it was in response to Ferrari doing it first. They basically started what will be standard policy for the rest of the season.

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Yes but you have to love Kimi being Kimi and making them explicitly tell him to pull over and let Seabass through. He knew damn well what they wanted and was clearly having fun at their expense.

3. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Ferrari will always be synonymous with team orders, but I love the hypocrisy coming from the other teams. Wasn't it a few weeks ago that Toto and Lauda were commending Ferrari for not using team orders to move Vettle in front of Kimi late in a race?

4. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

All that time, money, and effort spent on race strategy, and teams looks like they just went with a coinflip.

5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Telling a racer to hold station is just as bad IMO especially when the second place car has way more pace. I think the biggest risk to an incident wouldn't have been Bottas making the move, but an over aggressive defense by Lulu which he's known to do.

Having said that, I can see it from the angle of Lulu being the recipient of a strategy that put him at the right place at the right time. His tires were newer than Bottas', so giving him track position and allowing Bottas to use new tires to defend against the others makes sense. I would like to assume that Mercedes would make the same call if the roles were reversed, but I don't think that would happen.

6. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Online chatter had the (unconfirmed) statement that at one point yesterday during the race, all five Pirelli compounds for the race, to include full wets and intermediate tires, were in use, at the same time. A first.

7. Pittenger5

[​IMG]

DrA5 and VFR#52 like this.
  8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if the customer or jr. teams get requests by the factories to run a specific compound to assist the factory team with strategy.

Although that still doesn't explain why Gasley went onto wets :crackup:

9. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Clarkson made a joke that Williams went out on snow tires on that lap...........

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:crackup:

11. Pittenger5

TR had a driver out on Mediums and Wets, talk about hedging bets.

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Seems inherently dangerous to me to to be on the pit lane and then re-enter the race course. How many track and race days have we all been to where the rule is once you have signaled you are getting off the track, get off the track. Do not re-enter. What makes it a more egregious violation is that he had to cross the grass to re-enter the race track.

Bottas deserved that win.

Yzasserina and cpettit like this.
  14. rwdfun

rwdfun

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It should get shitcanned. The course looks stupid as hell, and why do a shitty temporary street course anyway when there are other race tracks in the US?

DrA5 and VFR#52 like this.
  18. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Would love to see one at VIR.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Way too narrow.

20. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Prolly true (no to mention lack of garage on the pit).

There were some spots I saw last week in Germany that looked pretty darn narrow as well.