1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Earth is how old???

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by cgordon3, Apr 20, 2011.

1. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I have some friends who are Baptist, (They did not grow up that way) and I was having a conversation with the wife on Saturday morning about some things, and we ended up talking about some old testament Genesis type stuff.

Then she dropped the BOMBSHELL on me. She and her husband ( both smart people, he is a computer programmer) believe that the biblical accounts that the earth is basically only 6,000 years old are 100% factual and correct...:wow:

Now I have faith, and I believe in God, but 6,000 years? Really? I didn't really know what to say to that, so I kind of let it drop after that.

Thoughts on this?

2. Demented

Demented Well-Known Member

It's 100% factual that the moon is made of cheese.

Through factual scientific proof, don't scientists believe the earth is somewhere around 5,000,000,000 years old?

3. cgordon3

Something like that. I remember 4.5 Billion, but close enough.

Either way...

4. Demented

4.5-4.6 Billion is what I usually hear, but I do remember hearing something about it possibly being longer with this new element or what ever it was that was recently discovered in February.

5. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Yep... 4.2 - 4.5 billion.

6. cgordon3

Well... according to my friends ( mostly the wife is the one driving this I think) all this information are lies that are basically Satans way of driving people away from God.

It would be kind of funny, if she weren't so SERIOUS about the depth of her belief in this. I was listening to her go on and I was thinking that she was sounding like a borderline ZEALOT in the matter...

7. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I like how you think programmers are smart.

Every one I have ever met was more of an Idiot Savant.

Christians seem to ignore the mountain of scientific evidence in front of them.

8. Demented

Ah, the Satan excuse.
    Satan, single-handedly keeping the church in business for over 4,000 years.

9. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

:crackup:

Actually the threat of Satan has been keeping Priest's, and Ministers in power and full of money.

With out Satan they'd be out of business.

Go Satan!

10. dubguy85

dubguy85 Well-Known Member

I'm with your friends.. 6,000 - 10,000

11. Demented

If Satan was indeed real, and he wanted to better his position, he wouldn't be trying to steer people from God. He'd be attempting a hostile take-over of Payless shoes.

12. ryanbabin526

ryanbabin526 Well-Known Member

I work with a guy who's a member of the Protestant religion, and he says the same thing. about 5000 years. Myself and most of the rest of the workforce are dedicated dickheads that make fun of everything we can, so he gets his share for that. He takes it quite well despite our laughter.

No amount of reasoning can sway a bible beater... Or is it thumper?

I was raised Catholic, hence my anti-religious stance.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Don't give a shit how old it is. Not like it really matters if it's 6000 or 6.5 bazillion.

14. H8R

Is there an empirical basis for your belief in that age other than the bible?

15. H8R

It does matter. Not to you. But to those who are trying to discover things that might be useful to us.

Personally I think we need to build space ships so we can get off this rock if needed...I want to go to the planet where those hot green chicks are from on Star Trek.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What? Why does it matter to Joe Microscope if it's older than Orvis? What is 20,000,000 years going to give them that 6000 won't?

In other words, you're full of beans. :D

17. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

My thoughts?

Quite succinctly - Your friends are sheep, following blindly, oops, sorry, with much faith, the teachings of their (tax exempt) church leaders.

18. SmokeDog34

SmokeDog34 Well-Known Member

The wife says,
    " We know that god created the earth in seven days, But we dont know what seven days to god is " . "Days to man is sun up to sun down. Days to god could be thousands of years "
    Just throwing it out there ....

19. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

Sorda related

I remember hearing not too long ago that, they, whoever they are, took a cross sample of DNA from the present and traced it backwards, and it traced back to just two people. Was that Adam and Eve?

20. H8R

Those beans are giving you gas Dave....and I now know you're the cause of climate change.

There's a incalculably amount of reason why the difference between 6,000 and 4.46 Billion makes a huge difference. I just figured your own apathy and giving convention and "the finger" is a good enough reason for me to respond with more trite and trivial bullshit. :D