1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The current and future mods for BFF forks

Discussion in 'General' started by adrenalist, Apr 3, 2017.

1. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of anything coming up in the future? I have a '17 zx10 and am looking around, but there is a major lack of upgrades for these Showa BFF forks.

It's a bit frustrating.

What is everyone currently doing with theirs? Or, does anyone have any insight as to what aftermarket manufacturers may be developing as upgrades?

2. Have you tried them yet?

What do they do (or not do), feel (or not feel), that makes you want to change them?

3. adrenalist

Great question!

Too damn early to tell. Haven't even gotten past break-in yet. Just the knowledge that the forks are built for the street and can be better has me inquiring early. Already in pursuit of refinement thanks to my OCD. :D I typically have 90% of my bikes built within their first oil change. I'm not your "do things as you need" type of guy.

4. Me either, now.

I was a "do things as you need" guy in the beginning. Between track days and Novice racing, I rode several bikes bone stock (nothing but bodywork and tires...full OEM suspension and braking systems, even the stock exhaust). I liked to change one thing at a time, feel the difference, then change something else, feel the difference, etc. I was new to bikes in general and wanted to feel the stock stuff, then feel what it was like when I changed it.

But im not like that anymore. Now when I pick up a new bike from the dealership, it already has full Ohlins, full exhaust, RapidBike tuner, dyno tune, 520 chain/sprockets, rearsets, levers, etc. I pick it up ready to head to the grid.

But I haven't ridden anything with the new BFF...so I was wondering how they felt, if they still needed to be upgraded, etc. Personally, because they are new and completely different, I would want to try them first to see what they felt like. Being something all-new (at least to me), I would want to try it first.

5. adrenalist

I'll def be doing that when I start racing (superstock, lightweight).

If you're ever in TX, and want to try out the stock balance frees, PM me. I'd be happy to let you throw a leg and shag ass through some twisties.

6. Alanjtc73n

Alanjtc73n Well-Known Member

Andreani makes a piston and spring relocation kit for the Kawi. We just put a set on a customer's bike and will be eager to hear his impressions. The stock springs on these bikes are at the bottom of the forks. Andreani makes a relocation kit to move it to the top, making spring changes much easier. We added this kit as well.

Gorilla George and adrenalist like this.
  7. Oh lawd, you are going to cause me to get a new bike. :D

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

im pretty sure two fast guys in WERA West are running KTech 20DDS carts in those forks. i can confirm this weekend.

adrenalist likes this.
  9. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Oh boy, at least two OCD in the same thread.

Stand back!....

Gorilla George and adrenalist like this.
  10. socal

socal Well-Known Member

There is at least one '17 ZX-10R in the classifieds with KTech KTR3

adrenalist likes this.
  11. adrenalist

If you can share his impressions when you get a chance, that would help me a great deal. Thanks for the heads up on the relocation kit! :beer:

:D I've been watching you trying to figure out what to get next. If it were me, I'd either rock the new Gixxer, wait for the V4 Pani to drop, or wait to see what BMW does for '19. They've way too much money invested in R&D and patents in their carbon fiber frame. It's gotta hit production for them to recoup. I'm guessing it'll be sooner than later.

That would be awesome! Some feedback would be excellent! :bow:

Truth!! :crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

Call Thermosman, he will tell you what KTech and big Gold O have/will have shortly.

VFR#52 and adrenalist like this.
  13. adrenalist

Bookmarked and will hit up tomorrow. Thx! :clap:

VFR#52 likes this.
  14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

adrenalist likes this.
  15. adrenalist

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

GP has a nice 25mm kit available for those legs.

17. vco

vco Active Member

I was told Thermosman could improve the BFF's without going to carts. I never spoke to him directly so not sure about the specifics.

Honestly though, once you get the right springs in there, they're REALLY good stock. I was kind of shocked how good the front end is on the '16.

18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

So... you're best friends forever with your forks ? :D

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand