1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas World National Endurance (the hard way)

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by wrenn, Apr 3, 2001.

1. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

Conditions: Mostly cloudy, highs around 70, lows around 45. Calm winds.
    Track: An ex-NASCAR speedway with a road course built in and out. Fairly smooth with transition bumps leading onto and crossing the speedway portions.

Well here I go again, off to the races. This time it’s the opening round of the WERA National Endurance and National Challenge. I made arrangements to get my gear to the track and got buddy passes on US Air from Tony Foster. I had planned to fly Thursday night but got held up at work for a once a year inventory. I boarded in charlotte Friday at 7pm and rented a ‘car’ in Houston, TX for the drive out to the speedway. The rental car experience was pretty bad but at least they upgraded me to a minivan, so I was able to stretch out for a decent night’s sleep outside the gates.
    The plan was to ride the 6-hour endurance race with Brian Vogel and Kurt Miller of Pensacola Motorsports on a new Honda CBR600F4i. And then ride one race on Sunday, (600 superstock). Brian was there Friday for practice and I really wish I could have been there to help with set-up and learn the track. We definitely needed better organization, it seemed like a last minute effort instead of a seasoned endurance team. I do have to give Brian a lot of credit, he has obviously been working very hard on getting the bike ready, its very tough to get a new bike set-up and track ready in one day.

After a few laps on the back up bike (an old 95 kawi 600) I take the new Honda out for practice. Immediately I notice the suspension needs work, and the gearing is too short. Brian did not have an opportunity to get the suspension done (it was still stock). Brian and Kurt are used to riding Michelin slicks and wanted to stay with them, so I agreed. Brian got a larger size rear slick wich made a huge difference in the gearing. We checked the diameters of the new slick to the one we used in practice and figured we would try the gearing as is, but be prepared to change when we change the rear tire after the third hour.

We were not ready for the race to start and it sort of started with out us. Brian sneaked out for a warm-up lap after the 3-min. board went up. The race went green with Brian somewhere around turn 9 of the 12-turn track. Brian comes down pit rode and we are waving him on. He manages to catch up to the slower guys about turn 7 and begins to work his way up. About now I am thinking ‘this is gonna be a long day’. I rode second and put in 58-min. I was getting pretty tired, my shoulders and lower back were getting tight so I gave the signal and came in. Kurt went out and rode very well. We all three had about the same average lap times. Kurt set the teams fastest lap. Kurt came in and we changed the rear tire and Brian went back out. Things were getting better we had moved up to 5th in Heavyweight superbike and 17th overall. I found some muscle rub cream in my gear bag and liberally applied it to my shoulders and back. I was feeling much better when I started my second stint on the bike. I got a couple of laps in and was trying different lines on the banking because the bike was getting a bad steering shake. I turned into turn 1, (a 5th/6th gear turn) and the front tire suddenly went out from under me. I had hit a spot on the track where water seeps through the pavement. As I start to slide I am wondering when I am going to slow down! I get to the grass and it still feels smooth. The ground dropped a way and I stared to tumble…I’m still going pretty fast so I’m trying to keep my arms and legs in. When I come to a stop I get up, my hands are already kind of numb but I can move them. One of my gloves ripped open and my left hand is rashed pretty deep on the side and top of my hand just below the thumb. I pulled the gloves & helmet off for better inventory. Not too bad all things considered. A crash truck comes to get the bike and me. They drop me off at medical to clean out my scrape and take the bike back to the pits.
    This pretty much put an end to my riding for the weekend. I get back to the pits and try to be as helpful at repairs as possible. I really felt more in the way than anything. Brian was cool about it and worked on the bike until about ll:30pm. It was ready for him to ride in the sprints on Sunday. I camped with Tony Acosta in the new MRO-GM Vortech engines motorhome Saturday night (very nice, ‘if you have the means, I highly suggest picking one up’….)

Sunday came and I pretty much just spectated. I could not really use either hand effectively so I wasn’t much help to Brian and Kurt. Brian raced in the 600 and 750 Superstock novice classes before I had to leave to catch the plane home. He finished third in the 600 race but ran off the track in the 750 race.
    He wasn’t hurt and there really wasn’t any more damage to the bike. I helped change the rear back to the bigger slick and said good-bye.

This wasn’t exactly the weekend I was looking for, but it ended okay since no one was injured. We’ll just have to get better prepared for the next round at Talladega Gran Prix, May 25-27. At least we have time to get the bike ready and I have time to get myself in better condition.

2. hazbin1

hazbin1 Well-Known Member

all went as scheduled in the vesrah pit...

3. backdraftmoto

backdraftmoto I make Nissan trucks...

Sorry to see you standing out there all alone Wrenn. I remember looking down turn one and seeing a guy alone with what was left of the nice F4i. Glad you made it through. We were happy to make the 6 hours without a spill, but still managed to finish last of the teams. See you at Talli!

And who didn't think Vesrah was going to win? I'd occasionally see Mark scream by on the straight and think, "That guy's insane..." I think everyone passed me at least once. I just like the little wheelie bump after turn 2.

4. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

yeah?, as scheduled in the pit [​IMG] why was the crew over the wall for a tire change 15min early [​IMG] just practicing?? [​IMG] and what about the trip [​IMG]

5. fin1exp

fin1exp Well-Known Member

Wrenn, sorry to hear about the wreck. I hope your hands are healing quick.
    Eric #237 novice

6. hazbin1

hey easy on the crew,if you would watch what the gasman does you will be able to figure out when the pit stop window is coming.as for the 15 min early tire change it was a psych-out technique that obliviously had people thinking we were gonna pit!2 tires and fuel,plus a polished windsheild in 20 secs not bad ehhh...

7. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

eric, thanks. hands are healing well. will be ready for the next national, no problem.

hazbin...at least the flight back went smooth [​IMG] you guys and pennzoil both had your mess together when the bikes came in. [​IMG] man those stops were fast!!

8. hazbin1

the flight attendant was in need of some big boy affection wasnt she?,

9. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

flight attendant [​IMG] i would have gotten her # for you but she was married...i think she was digging you though, the pillowcase chef hat was a new one for her!