1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas living? Pros? Cons?

Discussion in 'General' started by ToofPic, May 31, 2016.

1. snikwad

snikwad Well-Known Member

I moved to San Antonio last year. Bought a house this year. I like it out here man.

I've lived in NY. NC and FL. I call VA home.

Texas is unique. It's hot as fuk for sure.
    We're getting a ton of rain here lately. Taxes aren't bad. 6.5% on sales taxes. No state tax.
    Job market seems good. Here. Don't know about corpus.
    People think tx is this super country place full of cowboys, but the real culture isn't Wild West. It's more Tex mex.

People here are fukin fat. Sometimes I'm looking around and wondering if everyone here is overweight, but I suspect that's more San Antonio.

Everyone has a cowboy hat and cowboy boots. But not everyone is a cowboy.

Could I retire here. Maybe, but I'd honestly rather go back to the east coast, mainly due to family and friends and that's where my heart is.

beac83 and ToofPic like this.
  2. snikwad

Oh and Texas is big as hell. Drive for hours and you're still in this mofo. The tracks are spread out too, and not that many. So far it seems only 2 trackday orgs here, with one seemingly more racer practice than a trackday.

ToofPic likes this.
  3. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

In Collin/Denton/Dallas counties, it really seems a lot more Chicagoan than anything else. I think it's all the brick... which you need because hail. Don't fucking get me started on hail... if you move here, be prepared for Homeowner's insurance costing you more than you would believe. Then pay even more for a 1% deductible. Trust me... just do it.

Yeah. It helped motivate me to get thin again. But... yeah.

ToofPic likes this.
  4. snikwad

Hehhehe. Yeah. Luckily no hail damage for me.

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

There's two types of homeowners living in Texas: Those that are going to have hail damage..... and those that are going to have hail damage.

It's only a matter of time around here.

6. snikwad

Maybe where you're at. But most if not all of my coworkers have never had it on their home. The cars tho. That's another thing.

7. caferace

caferace No.

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

You nailed it! :rock:

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

OK so I never lived in an area that was prone to golf ball sized hail storms and they're saying we might see some today.......any advice on car protection that I can run out locally and pick up.

The link about with that Hail Protection car cover looks real neat but that ain't gonna help me for today's storm and their site doesn't mention any local dealers soooo.

Hate to see my Ram get cratered up. :mad:

(Gonna make a run to HF to buy some moving blankets and longer ratchet straps but not sure of that's the best approach?)

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Mattress. Or a couple EZ-Ups strapped down real well.

I can tell you the dent removal guys do well on Rams

XFBO likes this.
  11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Thanks Sean.....they're also talking about high winds so not sure how the EZ ups will do in that....thanks for the suggestion tho!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, not sure they'd be the best bet with the storms coming through. No real good answer if you don't have any sort of structure to put it under sorry.

XFBO likes this.
  13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Any underground parking garages nearby you could leave it in for a while? Go for a drive, park under a bridge. Clean out your garage, park inside.

14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Find a gas station and park under the canopy.

Put a bumper buddy on your skylight(s).

Welcome to Texas?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Granted if the storms are big enough the gas station canopy can do more damage as it comes down than the hail would :D

16. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Duct tape and bubble wrap. Lots of bubble wrap.

17. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Or lots of cardboard.

18. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Air mattress

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

There's one in every crowd

ToofPic likes this.