1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrorism and the election year

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by peekay, Dec 5, 2003.

?

What will be the lasting political effect?

1. Voters will rally behind George Bush as commander in chief

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Voters will punish George Bush for failing to prevent the attack

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Other / don't know

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

On the flights I've taken since 9/11, the door to the cockpit has always been shut.. maybe one of the pilots on here could answer but I'm assuming they're under orders to assume the worst, so it stays locked no matter what.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If they are smart, and they have proven they can be, the next one is not going to come from the air. Although the system is still very vulnerable, why expend the energy when you can just target a subway? People seem to think just because it's been two years in the US, it's over. Like I mentioned once before, 8 years separated the two attacks on the World Trade Center. Only time will tell.

Peekay - very good point about the attacks around the world. Too many people think the war on terrorism is centered in Iraq. All evidence leads to believe that what ever is left of Al Quaeda is very decentralized.

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

And if the hijackers start taking the hostages, one at a time, and slitting their throats, the door will come open.

4. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I had figured that given the choice between the safety of the passengers and risking another 9/11, the pilot would always choose to just land the plane.

But I don't work for an airline, so maybe you're right. :)

5. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

::clap clap clap clap:: Congrats on falling for the propaganda. :)

After being accosted at the "security" checkpoint leaving for our honeymoon (aftermarket left arm ... sets off detectors) , I noticed something ....

The resturaunts are inside the "checkpoint".

They will take your swiss-army keychain and fingernail clippers at the checkpoint, but don't worry ... you can replace it with a nice corkscrew/bottle opener, or KNIFE, from the airport bar/resturaunt.

- Roach

6. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

I agree with the other post, the terrorist will not attempt to hijack a passenger aircraft, if they attack the passenger side of our air transportation system it will be by blowing up an aircraft... If they hijack a plane again it will be a cargo plane (not as many people to fight)..

7. Umm, no. Even pilots have to use the restroom on longer flights, and there is not one in the cockpit. They do come out.

8. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

Oh, I think I agree as well ... I just don't fall for the BS "It's much harder to get a weapon on an airplane" nonsense.

The reason they wouldn't hijack a passenger airline IMHO would be due to people, not faux security. I think the next time, you'd have 147 people with a whole different perspective on things ... like an extreme resolve not to be flown into a building :D

- Roach

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

So you guys agree that the terrorists ruined things for your normal, everyday hijackers.

I wonder if those guys can sue the terrorists?

10. mad brad

mad brad Guest

guess i'll repost this message.

11. peekay

peekay Well-Known Member

Terrorists need not crash the plane into a building to be successful. Just hijacking one or more commercial airliners in the US, that in itself, is already a successful act of terrorism.

Further, they can kill everyone onboard in any number of ways, without needing access to the cockpit or requiring any special tools. I wont get into how but anyone familiar with aviation can figure it out. This mode of attack cannot be stopped with metal detectors, chemical sniffers, etc. That's why good intelligence is critically important today.

I tend to agree, though, attacks on so called "soft targets" (hotels, malls, amusement parks, national monuments, etc.) seem more likely. But (God forbid) should a few airliners were to be lost due to Al Qaeda attacks, that would carry a psychological impact in a scale approaching 9/11, even if none of them hit a building.

-peekay