1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tell me about Alabama

Discussion in 'General' started by bsawicki, Oct 2, 2010.

1. bsawicki

bsawicki Well-Known Member

i might be getting transfered to the tuscaloosa area in alabama.
    being from michigan, i'm not familair with the area.
    can any one tell me about it?

2. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

Highs in the summer of 78, no humidity. Low crime rates and no mosquito's. You'll love it!

3. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I'm from Michigan and live in North Alabama, prepare for a serious culture shock. :D

beac83, bleacht, Gixxerguy855 and 2 others like this.
  4. six6two

six6two AWD

They're going to beat boise state for the BCS championship by more than 45 points. That's all I can tell you....

5. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

You'll love it. Tuscaloosa is a college town and it's only about 2 hours from Barber. Our race season starts in February. I'm originally from Indy and have been in Alabama for 8 years. You won't miss the winters but you will cuss the heat.

6. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Silver duct tape= Alabama chrome moulding

7. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

tusc is a college town so if you are looking for 20 somethings to pick up, you will have plenty

Highes to 101 or so this year I think we had 45 consecutive days over 90 add 90% humidity and it feels like home. winters get maybe 7 days of snow, non consecutive. 1 of those days will give you 3 inches (maybe) buy your bread and milk at the first mention of the "S" word of the stores will be empty when you choose to go.

lows to the upper teens mostly mid 20s to 30s and highs up to 45 to 50

Year round riding. as mentioned Barber is about 1.5 to 2 fron Tusc. and little tally would be 2 to 2.5 away. nashville maybe 3.5 Those would be the 3 closest tracks. R ATL would get you in 4.5 and Jennings in 6 or so

get ready for strangers to say hello in the grocery store and tell you about there kids or dog that you remind them of (and they are serious) Strangers will wave to you on the road

Learn to love chitli'ns and grits cause thats all we eat roun heya:beer:

And if you do come, pm me and I'll turn you on to some great roads in your area and folks to ride with track and street:up:

Oh, if you are black, the KKK still hangs every one they see and the police still pull out the water cannons on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so don't come ok:rolleyes:

8. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

It's better than Florida but not as cool as Georgia.

tiggen likes this.
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Heat, fire ants, barbecue.

10. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

You should just move to Iowa much better there.

11. jcclx1

jcclx1 Well-Known Member

J what made you such a Florida hater :confused:, the state not the school, I hate them too.

12. invaderzoom

invaderzoom Well-Known Member

The roads are maintained better :crackup:

13. Cujo1KRR

Cujo1KRR Track Whore

The titi bars suk ass

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Bad times in Florida.

15. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Sweet home.

16. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

Beautiful state, nice folks, and a world-class track and M/C museum at Barber. I'd move there in a heartbeat. We go to Birmingham (Barber) several times a year and will be there next week for the Vintage Festival and races. Go for it.

17. MotorSWATCop

MotorSWATCop Former Trackday Turd

I came to go to college in 90. I'm still here. Roll Tide even though I'm an Auburn grad:wow:

18. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Been living down here going on 6yrs, moved down from MI. I live just about 10min from T-town, during college football season it's nuts. Yes be prepared for culture shock, people down here wave at ya in their cars even if they don't know you, they are probably packing and won't shoot you but they might run ya off the road if you got purdy lips! :D

It's fuckin hotter than hot down here in the summer, shit people from Las Vegas will tell you it's fuckin hot! Tons of BBQ (got to go to the original Dream Land), Southern college girls, rednecks, pickup trucks with loud dual exhausts, many are lifted several feet in the air and no alcohol is sold on Sundays (Tuscaloosa County).

I've adapted and don't care to go back to MI other then to visit family and yes Barber is 45min away, Little Tally about 1.5hrs, Road Atlanta about 3hrs, Nashville speedway, 3hrs, JGP 6hrs, Robeling 6hrs, CMP 6hrs.

19. bsawicki

bsawicki Well-Known Member

im looking forward to the heat, with arthritis in my knees the cold damp winters are killing me,.
    thanks for the info.
    any local mx tracks in that area? my daughter just started racing this year would like to keep her racing....if you know what i mean..

20. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Barber is in the development stage of a MX track.

Careful what you wish for. Heat is fine, humidity is what gets ya.