1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tehama County, California Shooting

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Nov 18, 2017.

1. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

So, I was out of town at a training class this week and only marginally heard of this one.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/r...secutors-da-says/ar-BBF6J2K?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Read the article. Hard to not conclude that some folks in L.E. dropped the ball here. We're all for legal gun ownership, but when some jack wagon clown is shooting guns from his trailer on a regular basis, and cops are repeatedly called back out after he already has court order to turn in all his guns, and they don't search his premises because "he doesn't come to the door", then there will be some serious lawsuits that rightfully will be lost by the state, IMO. Uphold the laws we have, dammit.

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Unless said officers WITNESSED a shooting, they'd have NO RIGHT to search his premises without a warrant........I'm willing to bet none of his neighbors were willing to step up to the plate to be an eye witness for the State so a complaint can be filed/signed. So you can actually thank a lot of people BEFORE the S.O.....but that would go against your built in FTP rant....eh?

Article even says they set up surveillance more than once to catch the shitbag..... and a bunch of folks are against setting up surveillance cameras to aide in catching a bad guy doing bad things .... soooo

3. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

1) I'm not an FTP guy, at all. L.E. to me includes the D.A. and judges, not just police. If I'm wrong on that point, I stand corrected.
    2) Not sure why you're "willing to bet" that the neighbors were unwilling to step up to the plate because it's clear that the did at various points in the past.
    3) I'm not for the search without a search warrant, per se. But, why didn't they get one? The guy already had a court order against him to turn in his weapons, so neighbors calling in reports that he still has them should have sent off alarm bells.
    4) My "rant" is just frustration that something more wasn't done in this case before the nut job went off. I don't think this was a no-one-could-have-seen-it-coming event.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's a tough to balance the rights of the nutjobs with the rights of the public at large.

Orvis likes this.
  5. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

And there's the rub with this kind of issue. There are so damn many laws against everything (that includes laws against investigating someone) that we're almost in a catch 22 situation. It's so much easier to just blame the gun. :)

crashman likes this.
  6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Someone should have said they bought a dime bag off him and his door would have been kicked down before you could say war on drugs.

galloway840 likes this.
  7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I dunno about that, the neighbor he killed had a restraining order against him.

8. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

It would seem natural to see his other neighbors not be willing to stand up and point a finger at the guy if that's what happens to those that do. Maybe a little organizational vigilantism would have been called for.

9. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Nope. The primary role of government is to defend our rights. If it's difficult then you're doing it wrong.

10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

1) Not everyone who gets a FTP rant on is necessarily a full fledged FTP guy so don't take it too personal. :P
    2) Because nearly 26 yrs of LE experience has taught me that 8-9 out of 10x, people in lower income communities don't like getting involved, (rightfully) fear retaliation and hate police so much that even under the most righteous circumstances, they'd rather not do the right thing.
    3) LOL....Because getting one requires eye witnesses OR LE observation (which if you recall they attempted at least 2x)....in other words, probable cause.....hence why I speculated that the neighbors weren't willing to move forward with filing a complaint, which btw.....WOULD HAVE led to having enough PC for the PD/SO to apply for a search warrant. Again you bring up neighbors calling in reports, ANYONE can call and make claims but unless they're willing to give a statement/be a witness, LE can't really act on it....I'm sure you've heard of hearsay before, yes?
    4) Just try to imagine how frustrating it is for LEO's when they're handcuffed by politicians, DA's and judges.....currently in NJ, the Gov and legislatures passed a bill calling for Bail Reform....this POS of legislation is allowing a crapton of GARBAGE being released in a matter of days....and no we're not just talking petty crimes.