1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tech ??????

Discussion in 'Tech' started by oneslowzx6r, Mar 4, 2003.

1. oneslowzx6r

oneslowzx6r Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how tough tech is for the first time provisional novice rider? I am setting up my bike and am really looking forward to VIR. If something isn't safety wired, will they still let you run and make you fix it for the next weekend? The same question holds true for other modifications. Will they let you slide the first race weekend as a pn? I would hate to get all the way down to VIR to be turned away. I think I covered everything but feel like I am missing something. I just feel like there was so much prep, I had to of missed SOMETHING!

2. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

No sliding.

Safety is safety. PN or not.

Good news is there will be a hundred or so friends to help you get it fixed.

3. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

If we know it's your first weekend,we'll probably look EVEN MORE closely at your stuff than we do to bikes and riders we know. But we won't be any tougher on you than we would on anyone else. Our goal is to get everyone on the track, but we want you to come back with all the parts you go out with. Just follow the rule book and you'll be fine. And have fun !!!

4. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

What about taping the glass on the gauges? Is the point of taping to prevent flying brozen glass or to prevent you from looking at the gauges?

If it's the latter, I think it's difficult for beginners to judge speed and rpm by just sound and feel, initially. Those things come with experience on a particular track.

I know when you're doing 120 you shouldn't be looking down at your gauges, but while you're learning I don't see how you can not.

5. oneslowzx6r

oneslowzx6r Well-Known Member

If we know it's your first weekend,we'll probably look EVEN MORE closely at your stuf

Did I say it was my first weekend? I meant it is my first weekend this year............:D

6. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

Most folks are provisional novices once in a career, not once every year. :D

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Tape over your speedo, not your tach. A lot of racers do tape over the lower rpm's so only the pertinent info is displayed.

8. Biker Scum

Biker Scum Well-Known Member

I'm hoping this is a stupid question. Let's say tech does find something that needs to be fixed or wired. How does that work? The schedule for VIR says tech is open 'till 9:45. If it takes all morning to get ithe bike fixed and the race is in the afternoon, is tech available for re-inspection later in the day?

Thanks,

BS

9. flagboy

flagboy Well-Known Member

Just because tech is closed doesn't mean there is no one to tech your bike. Find someone in an official shirt and we will take care of you.

If you are concerned that you may have missed something, then get to tech early. We are always happy to make suggestions.

Oh, BRING DOUGHNUTS!! :D

[Homer] Mmm, doughnuts [/Homer]

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes we will be easier on you for your first weekend. The rulebook is confusing as heck if you're not used to this stuff.

We will not allow you out on an unwired machine but we do allow temporary fixes and will tell you what you need to have done before the next weekend. However bringing a drill and wire is a good idea.

What Dan (flagboy) said is true, while tech may be closed we're kind of always on duty.

11. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Well-Known Member

One Slow,

If you get to the track and need something just drop by. I always travel with drill, wire, duct, zip-ties, silicone . . . A few guys from the dealership will probably show up Saturday morning who could lend a hand too.

Just look for the Euro-bike trash (MZ & Triumph), red trailer with big Triumph stickers, and silver Toyota pickup.

Bruce

12. SV Bob

SV Bob Track day junkie

Glad to hear you admit that. Though given all that it has to cover some confusion is inevitable.

13. amaner

amaner will do math for food

I second that. If you need help or advice, pretty much all of us will be willing. (Hey, we've all been there!) Just don't ask after you hear 1st call... :)