1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teathered Kill Switches (yes or no)

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott McKee, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Scott McKee

Scott McKee FZR crasher

Mongo,

In light of the recent incident at Summit Point involving a ghost riding bike, I would like to suggest that WERA make it manditory that all bikes have a teathered kill switch. A lot of other sports involving vehicles that can keep running after the rider/operator becomes separated from the vehicle require these switches. I have personally seen only a few of these types of incidents, but if we can prevent what happened at Summit by requiring the installation of a relatively cheap and easy to install device, it will be more than worth the effort. I personally have one of these switches on my bike and I think it was a $20-$30 item. The stock run/off rocker switch can also be modified to perform this function too. I know we all hate having things forced on us but I thought I would make the suggestion and see what your and the other riders opinions were.

After reading the riders description of what happened this may or may not have helped, but it certainly would'nt have hurt.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

although i have not yet raced with wera, i would think that this would be a very easy rule to pass. i have thought of doing it on my bike, but have not yet. cheap and simple. although rarely would it come into effect, it could help lesson the likelyhood of a serious incident.

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I already have one on my bike. I'd hate to fall off, and then listen to the bike running at full throttle until it blows up.

4. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

When I was last racing (the 1980s :p ) I actually bought a tether switch - I think it was from a snowmobile. I never got around to installing it. I bought it for the obvious benefit that if you go down your throttle cannot jam and blow the motor - like what Talbott said. Here's the only problem - way back in the 70s and 80s it was not uncommon for kill switches (like on TZs) to go bad DURING a race. I saw guys with dead bikes coasting and trying to yank wires form a handlebar mounted switch to get the thing going again. Somewhat dangerous, no?

But I bet modern electronic switches are more reliable and if it keeps one freak accident like what happened to Tim Francis from happening I would be will ing to use one -- but keep in mind I only run track days now.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  5. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

I would say no teather switches. I don't know why really. I guess its something to do with the fact that no other racing orgainization in the world has them. I dont want to be like the only kid at school with his gloves attached by elastic through is coat sleeves.....

The incident in question definatly deserves consideration into this, or other safety moves, but my instinct (given the rarity of this threat) would be to say 'no'.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Go to the drag strip or check NHRA on ESPN2.

Watch the drag bikes.

Notice that the cord from the rider to the bike is not an umbilical cord.

Get back to us...

7. Chip

Chip Registered

Not making a vote for either side at this time, but Drag bikes with 10 inch car tires can stand up on there own like a 4- wheeler. A road race bike cannot.

I would think it's extremely rare that a RoadRace bike does a "Ghost Ride."

8. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

What if the wire didn't release and someone got tangled in the wire and strangled to death? I mean it COULD happen, right?

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Chip, didja watch the Boxer Cup from Daytona last year?

I've seen it at TWS, RoadAtlanta, Hallett and other places as well. Not common, but not rare either. More worried about engines self destructin' when the right bar gets burried.

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Another good reason to require the HANS device!

:D

11. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

No. You can see from riding a watercraft that this will not happen.

There are folks that use them. Typically guys that run velocity stacks with no airbox to keep from sucking in debris in case of a getoff. I think its a great idea but my support falls short of a rule. Perhaps its just something for each of us to consider.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My $0.02

IMHO, sometimes you need to step back from the pain and emotion and look at things more rationally, using statistical evidence. How many here have seen something like this happen (collision, not just ghost ride) even three times? Twice?

I am not saying it's a bad idea at all, or that things shouldn't be done to improve safety when possible. But you can't be protected against EVERYTHING.

You also need to consider the possibility that this new device may one day cause a freak accident of its own. I remember almost crashing once at Loudon when my kickstand kill switch got loose as I downshifted to enter T1. It seems big twins have a lot of engine braking when they are not running... I have also seen brake levers broken off during bar-to-bar contact.

Now, combine the two scenarios. Two guys make contact under braking, a tether is pulled, an engine is killed, a rider highsides, the pack is following closely. Sounds far-fetched, doesn't it? But so does what happened to Tim on Sunday.

You can't prevent EVERYTHING. Be safe out there.

Disclaimer: opinion is only valid right now and subject to change.

13. Chip

Chip Registered

yeah.....I was there.........but Boxer cup bikes don't ever really fall down......it's the training wheels...I mean valve covers..:D

14. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Re: My $0.02

Good post, Papa. :)

15. MarkB

What's up with the "get back to us" flip off??? Is that a little nicety you felt appropriate for me there??? thanks, dick.

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

`member the one that spat of its rider then wandered down the track in search of a hay bale to lean on?

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Marky, Marky, Marky.

Feelin' a little outta sorts? Not enough fiber in your diet? Too many long nights edittin' rather than smoochin'?

Sorry, next time I'll apply for permission before teasin' you about an absolute statement with no basis in fact.

18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

My Craftsman lawnmower has this really cool switch in the seat..........:rolleyes:

Teather style kill switches;
    All Dragbikes have them, OffShore Race Boats have them.
    I don't want one on our bikes. (yet)

19. MarkB

Yeah, sorry about that - having post-race blues as I sit here and realize I gotta pay to go racing and this 'job' is how I do it....:(

Anyway, my post was not an "absolute statement with no basis in fact" - I just expressed a feeling or an opinion:

I would say no teather switches. I don't know why really. I guess its something to do with the fact that no other racing orgainization in the world has them. I dont want to be like the only kid at school with his gloves attached by elastic through is coat sleeves.....

20. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

All sanctioned ATV races require the riders to use tether cords.

I'll keep using mine. I don't mind being different. If the bike cuts off, I'll just wait for the crash truck since I must remove the kickstarter and I'm too damn lazy to try and bumpstart that big single.