1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teach me about Grunge/Punk/Hard rock/Metal...

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

No one sounded better in that era than a pissed off Henry Rollins, IMO. Hell, Cadena sang for what, a year before his voice went. I was even sober when I got The Bars tat. :D

2. I can't believe I forgot sick of it all. Built to last is an amazing album.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Funny story about Sick of it all. I took my wife to the warped tour way back in the 90s at Asbury Park and they were playing. She started to move her way up through the crowd and I stopped her and took her to the back of the crowd. "I want to see them up close!" "Just wait and you'll see." She was pissed at me.

First chord hits, the crowd EXPLODES and chunks of concrete, people and everything else just starts going everywhere. "Oh, I understand now."

Must have been 3000 people in that pit and every one of them was sweaty, bloody and full on. Incredible! I had seen them a few times before but no show by them or anyone else ever came close to THAT.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

add some Dead Boys, 999, Fear, Dead Kennedys.. and early Cheap Trick.

5. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

Well when I was your age and gas was 50c/gal, Grunge was Neil Young, Punk was The Cars, Hard Rock was Steppenwolf, and Metal was ... I'm not sure even though Jethro Tull won Heavy Metal band of the year.

Now I'm into Metallica, STP, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Disturbed, Godsmack, Megadeth, etc.

6. I'm actually jealous of that. I've never gotten to see them and that's one band I wish I saw in the late 90's. I'm glad I got to see throwdown and hatebreed after their first albums because their new music is so awful. Most precious blood is STILL good.

There was this band called bad luck 13 riot extravaganza. I saw them at PACE upstate NY. It was the most violent shit show I've ever seen. Hoodies on backwards with eye holes cut out with barb wire wrapped around 2x4's/base ball bats/etc, the whole band wore masks and In a room no bigger than the bathrooms at Road A. The second the music started every light was smashed out in the room and all you saw were spark from the ceiling and flashes of swining bats and clouds of fire extinguisher. When the dust settled there was about 30k in damage(my friend who went to the college set the show up), the cops were there and the band just took their masks off, loaded their stuff up and left. It was retarded. Their whole deal was to insight riots. Look it up on YouTube. First I ever saw it was in a BMX video.

Putter likes this.
  7. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Sounds just like a Cro Mags show I went to!

8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

F*ck Bad Religion.Thats the whiny bitch of all fake ass punk bands and far overrated,just like DK. They are only known because of Sam Goody selling there generic t-shirts at your local cookie cutter shopping mall back in the late 80's-early 90s. If you want Punk with balls instead of some of the pussy-assed cookie cutter shit thats been recommended then go with stuff like GBH and for a metal taste thrown in,all the Exploited from the Massacre album through present.Holy fuck what are some of you guys thinking????Get this kid steered in the right fuckin' direction you fuckin cunts

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Exploited were, are and always will be a sad joke. Wattie and his fauxhawk are nothing but a bad marketing punchline.

t500racer likes this.
  10. britx303

Dont get me wrong.....I hate him on a personal level.But I do like the massacre,beat the bastards and whatever that other one was called:D But Marketing........thats all DK and BR ever were

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

wait. people thought bad religion was punk?

aaahhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhaaaahhhaa. hahahhaahahhahahshahha.
    ahahhahaa

ahahhahaa
    ahaa

ha

ahhh

thanks.
    I needed that.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why aren't they?

13. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Negative Approach

14. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Spent 6 1/2 hours in the motor home last night coming back from the races, and among other things I listened to "Mirror Ball", a 1995 album by Neil Young and Pearl Jam. It is kind of right in between your classic rock and grunge. I had forgotten how much fun those guys had on cuts like "Downtown", and how naturally Neil Young's natural grunge merged with Pearl Jam's. Anyway, for what it is worth from an old guy.

I am a real fan of Neil Young starting from back in the day with Buffalo Springfield and Crazy Horse, and saw him in one of his first performances with Crosby Stills Nash (and Young) at Winterland in 1969...I shouldn't say stuff like that, it'll scare the young people. LOL

15. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Blasphemy! Every Oi band owes their souls to Wattie!

Is the OP ready for GG yet? :crackup:

16. Another good one that I haven't listened to in years. That was the start of tough guy hardcore. Love it.

17. He's barely ready for angels and airwaves. Let alone:

[​IMG]

18. britx303

Oi was around before Wattie. Oi bands owe Jimmy pursey and Cocksparrer more than anyone.

19. britx303

Always hated GG almost as much as I hate hippies

t500racer likes this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No, not even ready for Choking Victim/ Leftover Crack, and then maybe Poison Idea. GG is years away. Shoot man, I'm not even ready for GG. :D

Could send him in weird directions: Texas is the Reason or Squirrel Bait. Or just pull the bandaid off and send him to Refused. :D