1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tamahawk Race tires, im giv'n em a shot, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by GSXR600, Jun 1, 2005.

1. GSXR600

GSXR600 Well-Known Member

2. coiz

coiz Well-Known Member

What track?

What track were you at and did you get some lap times? Any lap times to compare to on different race tires at the same track?

Give us a couple tracks and some of your average lap times so we have something to compare your speed to ours. I have been thinking about trying a set for the hell of it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  3. dave333

dave333 traveler

Am I reading too much into this? Are Tomahawk tires retreads?

4. 418

418 Expert #59

I think they are...

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Yes

6. dave333

dave333 traveler

Wow. Risking your life on retreads. Wait a minute, mine too, if'n I decide to pass you on the outside and Mr. Retread decides to delaminate.

Are retreads competition legal?

7. bluedogz

bluedogz Loooooooo budget

More so than if Mr. Inside Passee decides to lowside? Or throw a chain?

I would think the real risk is to the rider. Now that we've at least started to answer the wear/traction/usability questions, can anyone weigh in on the safety questions (i.e- risk of delamination etc.)?

I think the safety questions regarding the use of these tires are all legit, so before someone jumps down my throat just let me say that all I'm saying is we need to look at this as scientifically as possible without reference to 18-wheelers. :D

8. clarkandgrilli

clarkandgrilli Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we cant have an educated conversation on this subject because none of us are educated on this subject. We can all read a few articles or studies but the fact is everyone on this board is ignorant on the subject of retread technology with respect to the processes that this particular company uses. There used to be a retread shop near to where i worked as a teenager, I believe their process and the process dresser Tire and Rubber uses are very very different:p I hope to God it is anyway :D

I heard and read about CF wheels delaminating but have not seen any pictures/proof that one of these tires has delaminated.

Like I said earlier in the post; I tried them, I didnt like them and my rear was a total POS but that was a year ago and hell, even the tread pattern is different now :D I would give them another shot but I still dont think they are priced low enough. a 30% savings isnt much to me to product test.

half off- sure:up:

9. dave333

dave333 traveler

So, the price would have to be around $160 a set? Was does that buy these days, one side of a set of Vortex rearsets? Add in fairing stay, bodywork, leather repair, new helmet and mebbe doctor's visits. Nah, I spent enough money trying to save money on tires to realize that avenue is a dead end.

FWIW, right now I don't have the budget to do racing "right". (insert groan, go get popcorn, sit down...) So, I'm not doing it. My choice for sure, my standards, but man, I hate crashing!

10. 130Gunner

130Gunner Well-Known Member

I hate crashing too, but...I have yet to crash because of tires. It's normally a problem at the end of my right arm or somewhere between the helmet visor release devices.:D

11. dave333

dave333 traveler

Congrats! May you still be able to say that if and/or when you retire from roadracing...

12. 130Gunner

130Gunner Well-Known Member

Well, thanks! I've crashed because I pushed a cooked set of Sporttecs at a trackday - but that once again was a problem with the right hand/throttle connection. There are tires that cause crashes - like Mat Mladin's rear blowing up at RA a year or few ago. Other than stuff like that - it's *mostly* rider. I guess there's the gray area with tires that just "go away" with no warning, but that could be argued either way.

Geez, what were we talking about again?:D

13. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

The company that makes the Tomohawks also claims to manufacture retreads for Airline jets. If thats the case I would think that delamination is a non-issue. You'll have to do your own research though to see if it's legit. :wow:

14. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

MOngo had outlawed retreads...but this year he has allowed the T'hawks after meeting with T'hawk people (I believe)..

15. GSXR600

Well from what I have read these tires are sheer tested to over 220mph, and yes used on jets.

Apparantly even the original tire companies do not test up to even that high.

Ive read lots of testimony on these tires and to be openly fair and honest toward them.

Everyone who i have conversed with, or read reviews of or spoken with on forums who have used the T'hawks (including me) have given them positive reviews.

Only the second hand people or the hear say skeptic group give them bad press, and having not even tried them.

Ive never read a review or anything of any tomahawk tire delaminating.......but we all have of Dunlops on the big bikes at the big track.

Under "normal" (i.e. not daytona on 200hp bike) I don't think the retread is going to fall apart at all.

Regarless the point is, this is a review I have given them after I have actually used them. If anyone else has actually used them chime on in, otherwise everything is just hearsay.

As someone else pointed out, i bet the odds are greater of a masterlink falling of a chain or a fork seal blowing before one of these tires falls apart.

On a side note, lets say Pirreli or Dunlop decided they would buy back the used carcass's and retread them in their factory.....would you all give them such grief then? Or is just that the company Tomahawk is the little guy? Just wondering.

16. dave333

dave333 traveler

I'm very happy for the Airlines. They really need to find a way to pinch pennies that doesn't involve stealing money from the hard-working folks who make the airline work. I guess cutting bonuses and salaries for the peanut headed execs is out of the question, so why not skimp on tires?

17. GSXR600

Suppose some wera pocket book holders could take a little cut and allow us all to have bit cheaper entry fees if thats the take one wants to take on this sort of subject. But regardless that off topic.

To the point: For the average track rider, or even upper mid pack novice my experience lends me to say they work good. Like saying a mid packer would never notice the diffy of riding a CBRF2 or F3.....think the same sort of situation holds for these tires vs others, top guys would likely tell the diffy but averay shmoe prob not and work just fine.

18. dave333

dave333 traveler

You don't think? Sorry, not good enough for me.

Hearsay? I've tried the cheap route and have learned better. I have daily aches and pain as a reminder.

I wish you well with your choice, especially if we wind up on the same track together somewhere, someday. I sincerely hope your object lesson doesn't wind up costing you more than you can afford.

19. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I'm curious how it is you know that this tire manufacturing method equates to 'skimping.' Have you read some engineering evaluations on the various tire manufacturing methods that you could share with us? Perhaps you have an in-depth knowledge regarding the technical and material differences between various manufacturing methods?

Or, could it be that a) the T'hawks are cheaper and b) it _seems_ like it's probably skimping, so it must be skimping?

I bet you wear a $500 helmet too, since more money = more quality... :D

Seriously, to say that it's your preference not to explore alternatives because you feel safer on 'normal' tires is one thing, but to imply that the guy with these tires is putting you at risk is irresponsible at best, unless you can share with us some data on the lack of safety you allude to.

You _think_ it's less safe? Sorry, not good enough for me.

20. bluedogz

bluedogz Loooooooo budget

This is just what I was saying guys. GSXR600 posted his firsthand opinion, and since that post nobody has really moved the discussion forward at all.

Would I buy these tires for a 30% savings? Damn skippin I would. Would I like to learn a little more before being a guinea pig for what amounts to almost unproven technology in this context? Yup.

I'm hardly the senior guy around here, but I feel pretty safe saying that unless you have firsthand experience with the tires, or a specific knowledge that speaks to the usability or lack thereof of these tires,then stay to the sidelines. Let those if us who want facts get them. and put the sensationalistic opinions somewhere else.