1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talladega GP

Discussion in 'General' started by Turbo Dog, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Turbo Dog

Turbo Dog Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have any idea how many acres of land Talladega GP sits on? I'm just trying to get a ballpark figure.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Old track - ~70.

3. Turbo Dog

Is that the exact number of acres or is 70 your calculated guess?
    I had to ask because you might actually know the exact number.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's either 70 or 75. Not 100% sure which so 75 is a better one to use, and that number is from Bargy who designed it.

5. Turbo Dog

Thanks.

6. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

Hey Peter, you lookin' to build a track?

7. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

or a ballpark?

8. Turbo Dog

Nope. Not me. I'd rather be racing and have someone else building the tracks. Someone I know was simply inquiring how much land it might take to build a small track. He said he had just read an article in the Wall Street Journal about Country Clubs similar to golf clubs but instead the "club" provides garages, security and a place to drive their cars without fear of speeding tickets. It's an interesting concept. The thought crossed my mind about a farm with an interior road system similar to a racetrack but that's just a daydream. If that ever happens though, I'll invite you over for some payback...:D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The country club styles will need a bunch more land, like triple to quadruple to make a decent car track that the customers would like.

10. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Autobahn Country Club in Joliet IL is (damn good) proof of concept.

11. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Mongo,

Is there a plan out there for the new configuration after the road work is completed? Hopefully the 70+ acres will allow for a creative redesign. Will Ed be drawing this up?

Morris Foor

12. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Ed Bargy has already drawn up a redesign. The track owners have agreed to it. Some land will be bought from the land owner next door for the redesign. The new track is supposed to be the keep the same track length, and it will be openned up to actually run faster. :up:

13. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Also, the current front straight will be paved paddock. IIRC the part of the circle closest to the railroad tracks around to the back straight will remain unchanged. The new front straight will go through the current farm house, connecting to the circle with a little jog to slow entry speeds.

I don't think the redesign is anywhere online, but it was in the bottom floor of the tower several months last year.

14. Inten_Z

Inten_Z Well-Known Member

I ask David the last time I was there about how much property was there and he said with the house and everything it was only 68-69 acres....

15. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

There's atleast one more in TX now too. Darn, can't remember the name right now. I think it's near Houston.

16. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Thanks for the update Fuzzy!

Can't wait to see the 'faster' track. I've always liked the old track but for some damn reason all of my worst crashes have been there.:down:
    More speed!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Morris Foor

17. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

You think TGPR might actually put a decent bathroom/shower facility in while they're at it? :confused: Maybe some outlets, too?

18. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Motorsports Ranch and the Motorsports Ranch II (MSR II is near Houston)

19. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

Oh, now!!! Don't you know there are starving racers in Africa with nowhere to ride? Now pipe down and be thankful for what you have... (insert cartoon here).

20. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Jay, thats actually the plan. When i talked to David a few weeks ago, the only reason there hadnt been any improvements made the last couple of years is because they werent gonna spend the money only to have to possibly demo anything new that they put in. He wasnt sure exactly what or how the track was gonna be laid out until just recently. He told me his plans are to have much nicer restrooms and ALOT more power available than they currently have.