1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking fireworks to a whole new level

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by corsameltin, Jul 6, 2008.

1. corsameltin

corsameltin Well-Known Member

2. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

"Opps" and fireworks don't go together very well...

3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

4. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Something that has confused me for years is how mankind, being the intelligent beings that we are, goes forth twice per year (July 4th, Jan 1st) spends millions of dollars on fireworks, plays Russian Roulette with their own lives and other peoples lives, and property, causes untold millions of dollars to be spent by fire departments trying to put out the fires caused by the fireworks, and yet it continues.

For me personally, living in a rural part of Parker County Tx, quite a number of my problems are caused by people living in Tarrant County (to my East) coming out to my area to set off their fireworks. Since it's illegal to set them off in most incorporated cities, people come to our area because we live in an unincorporated area. The cities won't let them burn down their own, and other peoples homes, so they'll come out and gamble on burning down my home. Not only that, they won't even pick up the spent fireworks and dispose of the trash properly. The next morning every rural intersection looks like a frigging artillery war had been fought there.

This really pisses me off. :mad:

5. corsameltin

I sir am from the camp opposite of yours. I relish the idea of exploding aerial mortars and class A fireworks in the skies over my inner city neighborhood. I love the huge bottle rockets thats travel great distances ending in a huge explosion in an unsuspecting neighbors yard. Its a great tradition that shouldnt be silenced by a few whiners. So a few houses burn down. Its a small price to pay for th entertainment provided to the masses. What about the smiles on the faces of full grown adolescents across this great land. My neighborhood also looks like a friggin artillery war has been fought here. It has my friend...It has:rock:

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I know you're kidding about peoples houses burning down but I agree that like firearms it is dangerous in the wrong hands of stupid drunks, teens, stupid people in general, and kids. I understand that accidents do happen but if you are going to light off fireworks in someone elses town at least have the common decency to clean your shit up. I was up at 7 am on the 5th to sweep my street from the approx $350 show I put on the night before. Sure I toasted a couple of fingers but it was fun for everyone on the street, everyone except the lady next door who was watching her sons house for the weekend. :eek: that complained I was too close to her sons house. Unpatriotic bi*ch. :D

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Actually, I wasn't kidding about burned houses. We didn't have any fires of any serious consequence this year but in the past we have had some pretty serious fires in my area. Three years ago we had several hundred acres burned before it was contained. We don't have the benefit of large fire departments in our rural areas like cities do. Our volunteer fire dept was buzzing all night. I'm not kidding, I could hear fire trucks going by with lights and sirens every 15 or 20 minutes from dark until about 11 pm. There was an area of about 2 acres burned on the road to my small neighborhood. As dry as it is our here it scares the hell out of me. I put my water hoses out and hook them up at each corner of the house. I always lower the mower and mow my grass to about 1 inch a couple of days before a holiday. I have two acres so I do have a small buffer between the street and my house but it's not enough.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, many years here I wouldn't set off anything for the 4th. And I do love blowing things up :D

9. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

I noticed around here the amount of fireworks is in direct proportion to the income level of the neighborhood. I can see it now. "We got the rent money but Friday is the 4th. What should we do? I can get a deal on a couple of cases of crackers in NH and they got the state liquor store right on I-93. And cheap cigarettes too. While I'm there you take the food stamps and get some hotdogs and burgers for the rugrats and a bushel of steamers and a half dozen lobsters. And get some rock from jimmy. And play my number. If the landlord comes around we'll pawn the computer."

10. corsameltin

over the last few years a neighbor whos property is just out of sight across the street has been trying to one up me every year. Its like an arms race. If I go out and launch something its usually in his direction. No more than a few monents pass and he is outside returning fire. Sometime he will light off a bottle rocket in the middle of winter. I usually keep a mortar in a tube right in my front closet ready to go, for just such an occasion. Wonder if I will ever meet him? Maybe when the clims adjuster comes out for a report.

11. 999

999 Well-Known Member

We've got an idiot just like you in our neighborhood.

He sets off annoying fireworks on the 4th, Memorial day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Chinese New Years... you name it.

The other day (4th) I read in the paper that someone on my street blew his finger off on the Third while lighting off fireworks. :beer:

Guess who? Awesome! :rock:

It was so nice and quiet on the 4th. :crackup:

12. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

This year I saw a couple of news stories about fireworks stands in the area and noticed the prices on some of the items. Jeez, even some of the less expensive "packages" of fireworks were in the 250 dollar range and it only included a couple of the "mortars." One of my neighbors must have fired off a couple of dozen of those things. He also set off a few of the "bricks" of Black Cat firecrackers. I suspect he sold off his wife into prostitution to pay for the stuff. (If she comes over here I may help him pay for it myself.) :up:

13. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Nascar fans like fireworks. LeeRoy and bubba can hold them in their fingers and blow em off.