1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking a slow pace to learn...

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by backMarker01, May 27, 2010.

1. backMarker01

backMarker01 Well-Known Member

From the trackdays ive done many of the directors and rider coaches insist on taking it slow to learn the track and pick up reference points. They say if you cant stay on line at a slow pace you will not stay on it at race pace. Ive tried to take their advice and pick up braking points and RP at a slow pace, understanding they will change at race speed but once at normal speeds everything I had before is useless. So Im wasting 2 sesssions getting shitty markers for brake, turn in, throttle and full throttle.... and then I spend 2 more sessions getting normal race speed markers. Am I doing something wrong and not understanding the concept?

2. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

This is correct advice, you can go slow on the race line, but you can't go fast on the slow line.

You should only be using markers/reference points for your braking and turn in, throttle use is a result of your traction limits.

3. Wes07

Wes07 Well-Known Member

Ideally you keep the same markers and stuff cause as you learn to go faster you will brake harder and later, and thus roughly keeping the same points. Same thing with faster and leaning further, so again you roughly keep the same turn in points.

4. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

"slow" is relative. If I rode around the track at a slow-mid begininer group pace I may learn the track "OK". If I run around at a slow intermediate pace I may learn "alot". If I run around at my full pace, I will likely learn where the air fence is. How you learn a track is different for alot of people... but in general, going slower allows more time to see the track.
    Also, try and slowly pick up the pace during a session, this way the difference between "slow" pace and "regular" pace isnt so great. You shouldnt run 30-40% to learn the track for 2 sessions, and then say to yourself "I think I have learned the track", and then go out at 90% the next session.

5. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

I think the point of the exercise is to allow novice riders an opportunity to aclimate to the track environment and learn where their limits are before they are "let loose". As a track day org you have to come up with a procedure which is suited for riders of all skill levels which isn't always an easy thing to, and inevitably and won't always fit everyone. But if you're going to miss the mark it's best to miss on the conservative side.

There's nothing wrong with being conservative with new riders or with riders that are on a new track. I've coached novice riders that were complaining all day about the pace and wanting to go faster. As soon as the program allowed them an opportunity to stretch out on their own they made it about 2 corner before they made stupid decision which buried their bike and their head into a tire wall. The guy I'm thinking of spent a night in the hospital because of it, and nearly took out another rider.

The point is, you'll have plenty of opportunity in your riding career to go fast and stretch your limits. Take your time, be patient, and disciplined about your approach to learning and you'll enjoy a long riding career.

6. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I did better in racing when I used the adage "Never practice slow." But for track days, I encourage guys to follow an experienced coach around on The Line just for a couple of laps, so they don't get any bad surprises if they try to go fast right away.

7. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Make sure to note braking markers at the slow pace FOR THE FAST PACE. With some track day orgs, the Control Riders / Instructors ride the fast line at a slow pace during the first couple of sessions. It seems stange as you follow on their line because you think to yourself "I could go much faster throught this turn if I take a different line". Don't do it, when the speed increases you'll be on that line (or close to it).