1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 Tires?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Wes07, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Wes07

Wes07 Well-Known Member

I just bought my first SV650, and I need some new tires. I'll be doing plenty of trackdays and some races this year and I'm not exactly sure what to put on. I know the dunlop 209's are great, but only if they really get up to temperature. What kind of tires do you guys use and/or prefer?

2. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

for anything up to a low advanced pace, i would use a trackday tire like michelin pilot powers or 2CTs. i've heard good things about the pirelli rosso but i haven't tried them. unfortunately pirelli doesn't make the corsa III in a 160 rear. if you're racing, then pirelli diablo supercorsa. imo, of course.

3. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Bridgestone 003 front and an 016 on the rear, FTW.

4. GCBusa

GCBusa Well-Known Member

Since you are just starting out Pirelli offers a good deal on their previous generation (still in production) race tire the Diablo Supercorsa Pro. I believe these are running around $299 per set.

5. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

Try out the Dunlop Qualifiers... I have known a few trackday guys have good luck with these tires.

6. Chinybaby

Chinybaby Well-Known Member

Bridgestone 016's FTW!! I've heard horrible things about 2CT's, people sliding all over the track with them, I peronsally have never used these.

7. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

OK you guys who are voting for the Stone 016's, what kind of pace are you running? Everthing I hear, even from Stickboy, is that they are a good mid pack tire but not a winning tire. Anyone having good luck running up front with a 016 rear 003 front? I love Stones 003's on my 999 but am a little hesitant to run the 016 based on Derek's recommendation. I may try them this weekend at Nashville though....

8. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

tires

try What Gill said, you can win with these tires, and for the price you can't beat it.
    but if you have the extra $$$ try the new michelins
    the are very good. they are my new sponsor :beer:
    Gill see you at nashville.

9. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

on the sv the new v front and the b rear
    is the way to go.

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I always thought Dunlops came in rather quickly. I just did a trackday at VIR with a soft D208gp front and a brand new D207 soft rear that's been in the garage forever and a day. I had no problems whatsover and I didn't use tire warmers.

11. (diet)DrThunder

The 016 isn't good enough to run at the front of an expert race, but it is more than good enough for what the original poster asked about. On my 2nd gen SV I was doinf comfortable 44's at Barber on it all day at a track day (that was with an 002 front). When I tried to go faster it started to reach limits re: acceleration at full lean, but even then it was very predictable...great tire.

For racing, the way to go re: Bridgestone is the 003 front and the new Michelin DOT rear.

12. (diet)DrThunder

2CT is a perfectly good tire, but it has to be up to temperature. It's not a good track day tire for people with no warmers IMO.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Really? One company on the front and a different company on the rear? I'd advise against that.

If you're getting into racing, pick a single provider that makes good tires for your class and provides good support at the track. If you're racing LWT SS, that means Michelin, Pirelli or Dunlop. I'm biased but I'd suggest Michelin. They have great trackside support and the best contingency program. That may not sound like it makes sense for a novice but if you turn out to be competent on the bike you might surprise yourself. I think Michelin will pay 3rd place if there are 5 bikes on your grid? As far as the tires, the new V fronts last like crazy and performance is great. On the rears, I'll bet cb500 will make you a good deal on his take-offs! :D

Pirelli and Dunlop are good too. Bridgestone is good and Stickboy is a great trackside vendor but they don't have the goods for LWT. Go to the races, talk to all the vendors and chat up a few of the experts racing the class you want to run. Look at the results for your class and then go with what you think makes sense for your effort.

Good luck out there.

14. Chinybaby

Chinybaby Well-Known Member

I am only running in Novice but have friends/instructors that run INT and ADV and swear by them (outside of slicks). Stickboys partner Josh is the one who sold the 016's to me trackside at Jennings and I like them a lot better than the Michelin PP's I had on.

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Uh? That's the opposite as what is being sold around here and its MUCH cooler in Seattle than in your neck of the woods.

16. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

I see by the recent Bridgestone press release that they will have new 003RS tires coming out soon, with a 160/60 size being offered. I have used the 002RS for track days (on a 675) and thought they were pretty racy, so it will be interesting to see how good the 003's are. Possibly another option for the 4.5" rear wheel folks.

17. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

What both of these guys said. The old supercorsas should be more than capable enough to run at a novice SV pace. I ran the Blue (SC1) front and Green (SC2) rear at most tracks when I was on those tires. However, I did have some well documented problems collecting contingency. The new Michelins are great, though.

18. (diet)DrThunder

Ya I saw that too...don't have an SV this minute, but I'm really looking froward to trying an 003 race front and the 003RS rear...might be a great combo.

19. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

Michelin

I Started out this year running Bridgestone slicks on my SV. They have amazing grip and will out last any other race tire out there for a lot less money. However, I just ran the new Michelin V front tire and their new Power One rear tire, 180 on an F3 rim, at CMP this past weekend and fell in love. The new Michelins are FANTASTIC.......:up:

20. gerryb

gerryb Well-Known Member

Pirelli Dragons are great for an Sv...$299 a set at the track!!