1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 superbike question???

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by sbhockey, Jan 6, 2012.

1. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

What I’m curious to know is how many guys in the North Central are actually running true superbikes in LWT SB? It seems like most are using superstock bikes, and riding them in SB as well. I ask because I’ll be doing a few rounds this year, and my SV would have to run in SB due to the front end, hacked up sub frame, wire harness, and light weight battery. I really don’t feel like switching everything back to stock, just to be able to run SS. I’d rather leave it as is and do LWT SB, F2, and LW solo. Although it seems there is more contingency paid to LWT SS, not that I’ll be seeing any of that. Let me know what you think, am I bringing a knife to a gun fight in SB with a stock motor? Hell, even with a built bike I’ll still probably be a back marker :D

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Can't speak for North Central but most SVs in Southeast are superstock. There's a few superbikes around but not many. You can bump up and ride HWT also.

3. Jongo

Jongo Well-Known Member

Myself and at least two other people that I know will be running SS bikes in the North Central LWT SB classes. Your setup will be competitive in SB and F2 as long as you have decent tires and riding skills.

Which rounds are you planning on running in the NC series?

4. sbhockey

I'll be at both Grattan rounds and the one at Blackhawk. I'd like to get out to Nelsons and Beaverun also, but we'll see about that. The suspension will get better set up this winter, tires are good. As far as riding skill... I run decent times doing track days at Grattan, should only get faster riding with better guys and a grid full of SV's instead of mixing with the I4's. What rounds will you be at?

5. Jongo

Jongo Well-Known Member

NC series... Grattan 1, Grattan 2, Mid-OH Vintage days, Nelson and BeavRun.
    National series... Roebling, Talladega, Cycle Jam, and the GNF at Barber.

I'll be on the Black bike with Yellow wheels... should a fun season.

6. sbhockey

Cool, I wanted to do Mid O, but well a lack of a vintage bike isn't helping. I'l lbe out on a red and black SV this year. Hope to be able to get my old MX number of 157

7. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

You can run your sv at mid-o..

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat when I raced SV's- stock motor with GSXR front end. Always seemed the fastest guys were on SS spec bikes and the old and slow guys had the 85+HP bikes. I'd run LWTSB, F2, and HWT.

9. sbhockey

What class? Thought it was all vintage.

10. ton

ton Arf!

the AMA vintage days are similar to AHRMA in that they have a couple of modern classes for underappreciated bikes :) there are lightweight and heavyweight twins, and something the triumph 675 fits into. can't remember, but i'm planning on it this year.

as for the NC rounds, particularly at Grattan, most all of the SVs are SS. i know of one full-on superbike that has been ridden by a very fast rider in the area, but he's not raced in a couple of years, and may not race with WERA at all anymore. i'd not worry about the big HP bikes being any issue to a good rider on a SS bike in this region.

11. sbhockey

Awesome, count me in for Mid O. I've been wanting to ride there since I went there the first time for AMA in 04'

Sounds like I'll be just fine on a stock motor. Cant wait to get the season under way.

12. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I ran a stock 650R in LWTSB LWTSS and F2 this year....before I actually got the 650R I was doing it on a modded EX500. lol

I have only seen a few real SB SV's around.

And yea, VMD at Mid O is a blast. I ran LWT MWT and Mega Twins/Triples on my 650R this psst season.

13. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I ran an SS SV in SS, SB, and f2 last year in the north central. Plan to do the same this year. I'm 210lbs. with a stock motor. You'll be fine :)

Mid-Ohio is the funnest weekend of the year... you should plan on attending on your sv. Largest grid in the north too.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  14. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

I only ran a SS bike in the LWT SB and F2 classes........as did almost everybody! A few folks had 2 bikes, but not many.

15. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

16. sbhockey

17. renegade17

Yup, E-Cellerator is his buddy that we race with at Grattan he has one of those first gen thingys. Eric Cell

18. Jongo

Jongo Well-Known Member

I'll be going to Mid-OH for the first time this year to race. From what i hear, the grids are some of the largest you will find racing SV's. It's the kind of event that seperates the men from the boys.

We'll have at least four SS prepared SV's in our pit down there. I think most of us will be at the Grattan DH the weekend before as well.

19. ton

ton Arf!

Eric will put a lot of thought into a lame excuse for not showing up. :D
    but i'll see what i can do to get him out for Mid-O. he'll be @ Grattan for sure.

(on a 1st gen SS spec SV. )

20. renegade17

I kinda figured he wouldnt miss a Grattan round.