1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 misfiring

Discussion in 'Tech' started by proprocket28, Jun 9, 2008.

1. proprocket28

proprocket28 Well-Known Member

I had some problems with my SV at Roebling Road this weekend. During my first sprint on Sunday, it ran well for the first 3 laps then started misfiring coming across the start/finish line. It cleared up a little from turns 3-9 then started missing again (like its running on one cylinder). By the cool down lap it did not have full power at all.

This problem started in Friday practice and I found a few areas in the wiring harness that were missing insulation, so tried to tape them up and keep them from rubbing the frame. I plan on replacing the entire harness, checking the coils, etc. It seems like the bike runs fine under lower temps, but once it gets up to full race temp the misfiring problem occurs.

Do you guys have any suggestions, experience on this?

Thanks!

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

How's your battery? The bad wiring may be affecting the charging circuit, which cause issues with your ignition. My FZR notices the difference between 12.5 volts and 13 volts, but I have an electric fuel pump.

Definitely look at the batery.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

It could also be your plug wires as the SV uses the old skool external coil with a short plug wire to the spark plug.

4. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

:stupid:

Check the front plug cap.

5. proprocket28

proprocket28 Well-Known Member

I'll check the plug wires again. I did find that the positive battery cable is loose, not at the bolt on the battery but where the connector is soldered/crimped to the cable. So I believe a replacement for that could be in order too.

6. spamrot

spamrot Well-Known Member

check your valves recently?

just a suggestion.

Drink milk!

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

It may be nothing but I had almost the same problem. It ended up being the front carb needle that kept popping out.
    #7 in the pic is what kept coming loose I believe.

Attached Files: