1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 Milkshake Machine: i.e.: Freeze plugs?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pscook, Apr 29, 2020.

1. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Buddy has an SV650 with combined fluids in both the cooling and lubrication systems. He's "pretty sure" that it didn't freeze, but doubts exist as it's been sitting in one unheated garage or another for the last 10 years. So, two options, as I see it:
    1. Cracked "something" allowing the fluids to comingle. Where should we start to look?
    2. Freeze plugs? I know that some Suzuki models have a freeze plug in the head that can pop and allow the fluids to mix, does this exist on the SV? If so, where to start looking? And, is this an "engine in the bike" repair or do we have to yard that thing out?

Worst case is he parts it out. Best case is he sells it complete. Absolute best case is that I observe from afar and don't get my hands any dirtier than right now with the typing.

2. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

They have freeze plugs in the heads. I had this happen to me with the front cylinder head. I was able to just take off the valve cover and replace the plug as I recall but it's been awhile so it might possibly need removal of the cam to get at it. Then I drained the milkshake/refilled/ran like three times. Engine ran fine with no issues.

Spears Enterprises sells replacement plugs: https://www.spearsenterprises.com/p...s-1999-2018-freeze-plug-cylinder-head-suzuki/

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Pressurize the cooling system and start looking.

4. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Just like he said above, it's pretty easy to check. I just went through the exact same process with a similar scenario.

Pull both valve covers off, cause if one cylinder popped, the other probably did too. They're fairly easy to see, especially if one is floating around in there. I was able to clean up the originals and reinstall. Flush both the cooling system and motor thoroughly. I think that I have images of it, but I'll have to look.

5. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

He should also pull the fuel pump out of the tank, if it's FI anyways. I bet the tank and pump are full of rust and debris as well. Mine was, at least.

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Carbed bike, but I don't know how concerned he is about the tank and whatnot. That's his call. I'm just trying to save the patient, he can worry about the window dressing. :D

E Reed likes this.
  7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Look for plugs around cam area. Sometime they can hide behind valve springs and sometime they can drop down the cam chain hole and be behind flywheel or cam chain sprocket.
    Make sure you find them first if they popped out. You can reuse them or buy new ones at local auto store.