1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 and Cheetah upper

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wera176, May 15, 2003.

1. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

I am in the process of installing a Cheetah upper on a SV650S. For budget reasons I only have the upper, I haven't got the lower yet. Since I don't have a lower to test fit, I need to be sure I have the upper mounted close to where it needs to be, so I was curious about a couple things (for the record, I am using aGP Tech stay)

1) Anyone have decent pics of an upper installed on their bike? my email is [email protected]

2) I was curious if anyone had a few moments to take a couple quick measurements for me, for example, it appears that the top of the upper runs parallel to the frame rails. What do you measure from the top of the upper frame rail to the top of the side of the upper, maybe front and back of the upper. If you drew a line straight up from the front axle, how much of the nose would be in front of the axle and how high is the bottom of the front of the fairing to the top of the tire. I realize suspension will have some bearing on that...

3) Anybody using frame sliders? It looks like I'll have to cut a hole on the left side (hole saw?) and trim away a semi-circle on the right side, seem right?

4) Anyone use the Cheetah bracket kit? The left side is the longer of the two, correct? And the little z-bracket is for the overflow bottle?

5) What windscreen did you use? It looks like the SVS screen will fit, but not exact. GSXR600 screen?

6) Could you use the stock instrument cluster? I have clip-ons and it appears that they will make contact.. (More $$$ ;) )

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

2. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

I'll check the other questions but this will get you started:

http://www.bbcracing.com/mattr/

[​IMG]

These are the images that Cheetah uses in their ads! You'd think I would of got something for that but nope.

And yes you use a GSXR windscreen.

3. wera176

Thanks! That helps! I did see that bike on their web page, but it was a right side shot with the front wheel slightly turned and the pic was from an angle so it didn't help much. These pics help mucho more! I guess you had to custom fab brackets to use the "hole" on the upper? I don't have anything close to lining up to that hole... :confused:

4. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

I think that Sharkskin sells those brackets that you need for the side.

They would take all of 5 mins to make - mine are just some bent aluminum.

[​IMG]

5. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Actually this bike uses the Cheetah brackets. Andf I've started doing all my SVs this way. You use the motor mount for the rear cylinder. NOT the one that goes all the way through (that's where the intuitive pro sliders go) but the one behind that (kind of under the fuel level sending unit). The brackets go down from the bolt, out the frame and then down again to catch the bolt coming through the bodywork.

The left bracket has to be cut a bit as the bolt is slightly recessed. I used a socket the right size to fit the recess and then traced it onto the bracket. The right one just bolt's right up.

I REALLY like doing it this way because the brackets are well protected by the inturitive sliders and plus you don't have to drill your frame like those shown above.

6. wera176

Thanks Huey! I mounted it this weekend. I actually used the stock bracket locations for the Cheetah brackets which actually worked... Oh well. It looks like it'll work! Maybe I'll explore the way you suggested.