1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 - 2001 model???? Probs?

Discussion in 'General' started by IYFphoto, Oct 6, 2004.

1. IYFphoto

IYFphoto Ripper of fish lips

Although my wife is a stunter...I'll tell her to keep the wheelies to a minimum. Guess she'll have to stick to stoppies and burnouts:D

I'm thinking springs, jetting as required to be smooth, and at least a slip on to make it louder so people can hear it.

Is Bo # 286?

2. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

he's #176 and #98 on the endurance team..........
    might as well put a 90 hp motor in that bad boy. it can be a hell of a sleeper on the street! :D

3. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

oh yeah, I got the coolest pentacostal, fire and brimstone upbringin' you could imagine.:D

i've heard you use the term britches....
    do you eat breakfast , dinner and supper (as opposed to breakfast, lunch and dinner)?

and this is not a thread jack.....my '99 SV gave me no problems, other than the ones I made for it.

4. IYFphoto

IYFphoto Ripper of fish lips

OH ya...that's right...thought I recognized the name. Badcock racing...yep he's fast...

5. racer237

racer237 Well-Known Member

Ihad an 01 sv, and endurance raced it for 2 years, no modifications with it except pipe and air filter. Changed oil regularly and sold it after 03 gnf. I bought it from street guy with 5000 miles on it. Never had any problems with it that were not my fault(threw chain and bent countershaft). Still wish I had not sold it great bike. thats my 2 cents

6. Bo Morgan

Bo Morgan Well-Known Member

thats 93hp

7. Bo Morgan

motor job can be done and stay together. costly but man is it a ride. you can keep up with some 600, ask todd clark. He has seen her butt a few times.

8. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

i think i remember passing you on the straight at road A this july there BO !!!!!!! maybe i gotta bit more motor..............LOL!
    theres no replacement for displacement!
    :clap:

9. Bo Morgan

ON WHAT?

10. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

dude on my sv!!!!!!!

you dont know who this is do you?????

LMAO

11. Bo Morgan

ON YOUR 106HP SV? I KNOW WHO YOU ARE

12. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

106?????? lol its only 76 hp on the f-usa factory dyno! :D :D :D

i wonder why these stock cranks keep breaking in half!?!?!?!?
    hmmmmmmm she's my lil hog slayer!

13. Bo Morgan

HEAH AFTER YOU STUCK A WAD OF PANTY HOES IN THE AIR BOX.
    DIDN'T YOU SALE HER?

14. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

not yet! i need to.... i got 2 of em. need to buy a vsrah bike !

15. Bo Morgan

KEEP THAT DAMN JET FUEL BURNING THING AT HOME. JUST KIDDING, BRING IT UP AND WE CAN PLAY.
    (TL motor in a SV)

16. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

just did get a new crank for it. if i'm gonna keep racing it i'm gonna have to get a billet crank, then she'd run for ever! just dunno about comming off $2000 fer a crank!
    so i probably wont be racing it at the GNF. but next year we'll have some fun on the 600s!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Bo Morgan

No fare, sounds like you will be riding a vserah 600 and i will be on my gsxr600 unicycle.

18. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Hey Louis,
    I had a 99 when I first started racing that had two full seasons on it. Ran it the whole season without so much as a burp. I changed the oil every race weekend and never messed with the carbs at all. Just gas, oil and go. I bought another 99 as a spare and sold it at the end of the season to Phil Fortune who won the novice D-super championship on it at the GNF in 01 I think. I don't think he had a problem at all with it until it caught on fire in his garage. Neither Phil nor I ever blew one up.

I bought a 2K or 01 (can't remember which) after selling the other bike and had good luck with it at the beginning of the season and then it started being anemic at high rpm. I jetted, re-jetted, adjusted needles, re-adjusted needles, even went so far as to go up 1mm on the bore. Half the season was spent trying to find the problem with that bike. GNF in 01, after all the races were over, I found the problem. The thing ran great on the dyno but wouldn't pull down the straight above 9200 RPM. If I tucked my left arm in, I could get about another 250 RPM out of it. It turned out to be a cracked intake boot. Shit, all that work and that's all it was. I replaced the boot and sold it to Jay Barfield. Never blew it up either.

Now I have an 01 that I haven't raced yet but have taken to several practice days. Did the intake cam mod to it and have been tuning it to perfection for the last year. Finally it's running perfect. No other mods. It makes 74-75 hp on MSP's dyno. Must have been a wednesday motor. If you can get your hands on a good set of intake cams, gimme a call and I tell ya how to do it. Pretty easy.

Must haves:
    1. Springs and emulators-20wt oil or a mix of 20 and 30 (2 parts 20, 1 part 30). Springs for your wife should be .85s but you can put .90s in it if YOU want to take it for spin. She should be fine with it.
    2. Penske rear shock
    3. raise the rear end between 13.5 and 14 inches eye to eye on the shock ( only applies 99-02 though). Swingarm angle should be roughly 12 degrees give or take. Front end dropped 7-10mm in the triples. This should make it stable and handle real good in the corners.
    4. M4 pipe gets the best power
    5. Mine is jetted at 135 mains (one level leaner than stock), stock air filter, factory needles at 3rd position from top. One level up from stock on the pilot jet ( I think a 17). This works for Atlanta area.

It handles good on the street and the track. If the 01 you are looking at is at a good price buy it and make the mods above and you should be good. Although jetting may differ per engine, that still should be a decent starting point.

BTW, if you get an FI model, they have more problems with the cranks than the 99-02s ever had. Also, I have no clue how to set those up. I think they handle a little better outta the box but they still have the same bouncy front end. Stock Geometry is significantly different. However a set up 99-02 handles better than a set up 03-04. Talk to David Yaakov, Kevin Suffridge, Lee Fields,and Bradley Champion about that.

Sorry for the book.

Take care,

19. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Who is this DDK dude, Bo?

20. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

ya just haaaaaaaaaad to go there didnt ya, PUNK?????:Poke:

by the way, i dunno if i'd brag about keeping up with my 600, or even ME for that matter, hell, if you cant beat me as slow as i am, you REALLY must be slow! :beer: