1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV560 fork oil/rebound??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Turbotech, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Ok I have a 05 sv650 I'm planning to take the dive with next year and do some racing..I have installed traxxion rods/emulators and springs..Filled with 10w(maxima) and set to 90mm per traxxion..

The forks slow speed compresion is on the soft side (loose?) and the rebound action over a good size dip in the track is a bar eater, comes up very fast..Esp. if the bump or dip is right at the point i'm releasing the brakes and tipping in...

With my very limited knowedge of this stuff I think the hole in the damping rod and oil weight is what controls rebound speed, and the small holes in the emulators control slow speed compresion..The adj on the emulator is set at two turns in.. Is this (the adj nut) a high speed compresion adj, because that is pretty good as is..

Will putting thicker oil (15-12.5) slow down the rebound and stiffen up low speed compresion some??? Just looking for a direction to go..

Also where is a good place to start with the fork tube height, mine is arond 5-7mm out of the triples and the bike seems to understeer some, wont finsh the turn..

Thanks..

2. leanangle_750

leanangle_750 Pimpin' Parts

I don't know what you have in the back, but SVs really need alot of ride height in the back, usually in addition to a little fork drop up front. If you don't have a good aftermarket shock w/ ride height in the back, that would be my first priority.

I'd also wait on fork changes until you got the rear end set up. You might find that once you do, the forks work closer to the way you want them to.

And yes - switching to a heavier oil will slow both rebound and compression. It's the difference between sucking water through a straw or Aunt Jamima :)
    I'd consider adjusting the emulators, however, before I increased oil weight.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Did you leave the damping rod in there and just put in an emulator? If so you should be running 20-25wt oil at least...depending on which spring rate you have.

As to fork position I ran mine with 10mm. Now I can't rememeber exactly how long on my rear shock but I recall something like 335mm middle of each eye...would need to looka t my notes.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  4. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

I have that set-up in my SV and run 20w. I could swear Traxxion says 20w in their instructions. Call them and ask.

5. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

I run 30wt :/

6. leanangle_750

leanangle_750 Pimpin' Parts

Their instructions specifiy 20W for '99-'02s, and 10W for later models.

7. Turbotech

I have the newer traxxion rods and they spicifed 10w to start.. Just seems like it's a bit soft, also I'm 225 with 1.05 springs, so the fronts got some bounce to it..I have a penske coming..Thanks for the replies guys, any info on shock lengh to start would be great..

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

around 340mm

9. Turbotech

^^^Thanks..

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Question. Which tires are you running? Wouldn't want to have you be too agressive on the rake. :)

11. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

never heard of a SV running 10wt! at least 20w IMO! Talk to Barry Wressell at KFG-GP Suspension North...he is the SHXT! He also raced (#2 plate that year) on a SV650... ONLY guy i trust our bikes with..

Barry Wressell. KFG

12. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

new gen sv with traxxion rods does use 10W.you can always go up with oil W to get desired damping.in sv forks oil W is just another adjustment,10 is base set up that works for most with those rods.
    1.05 is pretty stiff spring.

13. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

my apologies. We use GP Suspension valving, so apologize since you are using Traxxion stuff... but i do agree..no matter whose valving...1.05 are MASSIVE springs (i have our fastest racer in omrra that is 6'3" and 220 and on a 197rwhp gsxr1000...still only uses .975 springs..) if im correct (twf2 might know better) the SV guys usually stick around .92-.95 rates...

14. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

I believe you're right... My Bad:)

15. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

TT, you don;t sy your height/weight, but I am 205 lb./ 5'10" and ran 20W in my 02 SV with .97 springs and the rear was a GSXR600 shock resprung and set up to 333 mm eye-to-eye. Fork was only 5 mm showing. When i sold that bike it worked well for me, but was just a LITTLE hard to steer out of turns. I woul dhave changed to more front fork (10-12mm maybe) showing and .95 spring. Those were Progressive springs. The RaceTech springs were way too soft for me and the crossover point felt late.

Now I am on a Gixxer750 and rockin 'it.

16. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

the new traxxion rods must be different from when i ran the emulator setup. i ran 20 in one leg, 30 in the other with the oil height at 120mm. i was 195 lbs at that time using .95 springs in both forks. this worked very well for me.

and i'm a little different on the rear spring than some sv riders. at your weight, i'd start with a 550 spring.

17. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Youre a little different in a lot of ways. But hey at least now you have a little human who you can try to convince your way is the best :D Ohh and congratulations to you and the wife. How long until the prego knockers are gone? :D

18. Turbotech

Thanks for the input guys..I was wrong on my springs, it has .925 up front..I was thinking of my older bike springs..
    I ended up puting 15w at 90mm and the front end feels much better, at least on a quick bumpy steet ride..May be to slow now, but its cold out..

What does changing the air gap provide, that is the next clueless quesion..

19. ahastings

ahastings Well-Known Member

bottoming resistance

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

That's very close to what I ended up with and I'm 200. .90 springs up front. No emulators. Two of 4 compression holes welded up. Mixed 25wt oil (equal 20wt and 30wt). 115mm fork oil height. 550ish spring in the back (it didn't test right at 550lb but I can't recall the exact).

The one problem I found is that the compression was actually too stiff. I believe that I needed to drill some holes in the welded holes to get it right...but I don't need to wory about that anymore. :beer: