1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV tires choices (for track)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Major, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Major

Major Well-Known Member

Just got a race prepped SV and plan to do my first race in a couple of weeks. Any recommendations on tire brand and sizes? Right now, it has some shagged 208 GP's on it (120/70 and 160/60). I did a search and didn't come up with much. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

2. WERA552

WERA552 Master Brake Oil Spiller!

Pirelli

My suggestion would be to get some Pirelli SuperCorsas. 120/70 for the front and 160/60 for the rear. They are awesome tires that heat up quickly reducing the need for warmers. Which is important for new racers that probably don't have warmers. :D

Supersoft front and soft rear... (blue and green compounds)

3. Major

Major Well-Known Member

Thanks Ted, I have watched you race many times this summer. I live in NY and will be attending the last weekend at Loudon.

I've got warmers, are Pirelli still the best choice?

4. WERA552

Opinions on the best tire vary widely. :rolleyes:

I started with Michelin Pilots then moved to Pirelli. I have heard more than one SV rider complain about the Dunlop's causing chatter. I've never used them so I don't know first hand about that. Even with warmers it's nice to have a tire that heats up quickly. Many times you can end up sitting on the grid while your tires cool off completely.

I'm in North garage #24 stop by and chat. My goal is to get into the 1:16's the last weekend. :D

5. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

I'll second Ted's advice. Used both Michelins and Pirellis, prefer the Pirelli's. Quicker warmup, better feel and more warning when they start to go off.

6. black&blue

black&blue Broken Member

I'll third that, and not having warmers myself, I like the Pirellis even more. I just take a couple corners a bit easy on the warm up and start getting it pretty good mid way. First lap, have at it, it'll stick.

Brian

7. Major

Major Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight guys, much appreciated.

Ted, I'll stop by, 1:16's, damn thats fast. I've got a long ways to go. Did some 24's at a recent track day. Very much looking forward to finally participating instead of spectating.

8. WERA552

23's at Loudon as an AM will win races. You'll love racing - much better than track days. :D