1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV Starting

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Chango, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Chango

Chango Something clever!

The SV started this morning without any noticeable trouble. When it was time to come home, it wouldn't start at all. It makes a nice whirring noise but that's all. I tried to push start it, but that's a bit harder with a v-twin on flat ground without any help.

Anyway, I came back with a wrench and took the starter off. The teeth on the starter look good. The teeth on the flywheel look fine, as far as I can tell. The starter spins fine, as far as I can tell. It has what feels like an appropriate amount of resistance. But that brings us to the next part in line.

If the flywheel is spinning freely inside, any ideas on how much hassle I'm looking at (without having the bike right in front of you)? Are there any common problems in that area?

2. Chango

Chango Something clever!

After further research, it appears that the starter clutch is the source of my woes. For now.

3. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Not hard to fix. Pop off the stator cover and pull the flywheel (need a flywheel puller). If your one way bearing (starter clutch) is broke. I can send you one. Just pay for shipping. I have a pile of them.

4. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Sometimes they break the boss that holds the pin for the idler gear. That's great fun.

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

yuck...

6. Chango

Chango Something clever!

You've got a pm.

7. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I finally found some time to work on the bike. The starter clutch fell into lots of small pieces when I pulled the flywheel off. After replacing it, everything worked exactly as it should again. Thanks again for the part!

kanatuna, Dragginass and Phl218 like this.