1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sv shock length

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dragginass, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

1. I have a 343mm long Ohlins from a ZX6R.
    2. Stock length on the '02 SV I am about to buy is 337mm

The ohlins for the SV is adjustable from 337 to 349mm. From what I understand the stock length of 337mm is too short on the SV's. What I'm wondering is will the zx6r shock put me at a good working length, or do I need to go ahead and sell it and get one for an sv?

2. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

For the 99-02 SV's shock length needs to be in the 350-355 range. So you're reeeeally close. What about spring rate and damping though??? Unless the ZX has a very similar linkage ratio to the SV, you'll have to get the shock re-sprung and re-valved. Better to sell it and get an SV shock if that's the case.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

What about the shock measured from eye to eye? My 03 SV Penske is 345mm and I've been seeing that it should be less.

?

4. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

Speedwerks put my Penske in on my 03 SV. He said it is a little longer than the stock shock. No worries, went right in. Guess that is just how they come.

5. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I just got a ohlins for my 99'sv650 and was going to ask if I should just install it or adjust the lenth or what. (can you tell I'm new to this)

I was going to put it in the way it cam and then go from there but any help would be nice.

6. RichDesmond

Yeah, the 03's are different. 340mm seems to about right.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  7. RichDesmond

Measure it and see where it's at. 13 7/8" (or 352mm) measured eye center to eye center is a good place to start. Other setup info for the 99-02's at:

http://www.cycle1.net/sv.htm

click on the setup link

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

So what did I get then? My 03 shock definitely looks different than the one the 00 SV.

9. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

Eric, call Steve and ask him tomorrow. I got mine from Penske and they are taller for the 03 vs. stock. He said it basically had a little ride height already in it. The spring is taller or somthing.