1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV question

Discussion in 'General' started by svdale, May 20, 2002.

1. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

Ok here is the problem, the bike starts up fine and runs, but it wont staying running unless you have the choke on about half way or more, also it sounds like sh#t, backfire and everything, i have replaced the sparkplugs, cleaned the air filter and changed the oil,, right now it has a stock exhaust on it, do i need to have the carbs sync, or could it be the gas, i bought the bike about 2 months ago, its a 2001 svs with 937miles on it, it was wrecked in the front, everything is ready to go expect this problem, thanks for everybodys help in the past i know i ask alot of questions, but im just starting and i have learned alot from people on the bbs, thanks Dale

2. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Did you take the carbs off? I'd start there. Check to make sure the cable linkages are on correctly and then make sure the carbs are seated correctly.

3. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

the problem is im really scared to start messing with the carbs never worked on them before and dont want to mess them up and then pay a fortune to have them fixed, but i guess i will start reading and checking it out, im hoping it is the gas because the gas has been in the tank for about 8 months and the bike hasnt run just being sitting in a guys garage and then my basement, i dont know, thanks for you help Dale

4. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

8 mos?!?! You didn't say that!

Time to take the carbs apart and clean the bowls, slides, needles, & jets.

The gas has evaporated and left a bunch of "crud" in the carbs. When you filled it back up that crud found and lodged in alllll kinds of places.

It's not hard to pull them off. Take them some where to be rebuilt / cleaned and then put them back on yourself. Most of the labor comes from getting to the carbs so you should save your self some dough.

I think explaining carb mounting is feasible on the BBS but "where does this spring go on this slidey thing" isn't.

OR put the damned thing on a trailer and bring it to me!!!! :D
    It'll only take a solid weekend to get it going (if you have all the parts).

5. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

You said it was wrecked in the front.

Did you happen to replace the tach with an after market tach? It is pretty easy to interpret the directions that you end up wiring the coils together. If that is the case, both coils end up firing at the same time and backfiring all over the place. The only reason I know is from experience!! On the twin you only wire to one coil. Just an FYI.

6. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

it was jus the forks and front wheel the tach is fine and i do not have a tach to put on yet, put thanks for the info it will come in handy when i hook up my new tach, thanks Dale

7. flyboy

flyboy Guest

usualy when bike wont run without choke pilot is clogged.

8. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Yup, I bet that's it. The crashed one I bought did the same thing. I took the carbs off, cleaned em up real good, adjusted the needles, put slightly larger mains in and she fired right up no problem.

9. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

Sweet, im going to take them off this week and i got a buddy to take them apart and clean them up real good for a 12pack, thanks Dale