1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV jetting

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dwheeler, Apr 23, 2003.

1. dwheeler

dwheeler Well-Known Member

After reviewing all of the old post on the subject, i have averaged out that:

Mains 137.5
    Piolts: 17.5
    Shims: 1
    Air Screw: 2 turns out

This is on a stock motor with full exhaust system using pump gas.
    Is this a pretty good setup ??

2. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

4. dwheeler

ok that is one yes and one no. Anybody else?

5. branthopolis

branthopolis -------------------------

Maybe..... :)

You might want to try a 140 also and check HP against the 137.5

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

If I told you my jetting,I would have to kill you.My airbox is modified.Stock I ran 136s

7. amaner

amaner will do math for food

I'd be afraid you might be a little lean, especially at the top of the range. I've got a full system on mine, and run 140 mains w/ 2 shims. Pulls cleanly all the way through the rev range (very linear), and the plugs/pipes are the perfect color. Just my 2 cents worth.

8. branthopolis

I'm running 215/210.... And a slightly modified (lack of a) airbox.. :D

9. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm hoping those are flatslides.Holy crap batman,I thought mine were fat:eek:

10. kl954

kl954 Well-Known Member

Yes!!:beer:
    more :beer:

11. branthopolis

Original carbs.
    Factory Config 30 kit.
    Pods, enlarged air jets, and BFM (big freakin mains!!!) :D

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm close to your jetting,but we run endurance.I see a huge difference in fuel consumption.

13. dwheeler

so should i use the 140's with the 17.5

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I think 138s.

15. RichDesmond

Don't obsess over it.:) Seriously, close to stock SV's aren't real sensitive to small jetting changes, you won't be able to tell the difference between the 137.5 and the 140. Whichever one's in there, leave it.

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

are these settings with the stock airbox?

17. branthopolis

I would probably start with the 137.5, do a baseline, then try the 140s and do a run.. If it feels stronger, try 142.5 if you want... As long as you keep gaining power, pulls clean up to the redline, and doesn't soften up when the motor comes up to full temp, keep trying larger sizes... If you drop power then go back one size and stick with those.

After you get your mains right, then work on needles, pilots, & sync....

18. dwheeler

well when i was setting up the bike i read some place to use 147.5 but i think that was with modified air box, cuz thats what i have in there and with stock air box it wont wind out..too fat i guess

19. branthopolis

Thats a dynojet number right? Dynojet 138's should be about right for a stock filter and full system.

20. RichDesmond

Yep, too fat. When I first set mine up I started with the 145's. Ran good, but you could tell from the plugs that it was rich. Put in 142.5's, it ran just a bit better, plugs still looked too dark. 140's ran the same, plugs look better. 137.5, ran the same, plugs looked perfect. Which meant that it took me a lot of time and trouble to arrive at the same jetting people smarter than me told me to start with.:)