1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV Engine... How Deep ??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by etemplet, Jun 26, 2012.

1. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

I want to pull the cylinders on a race bike I bought a while back, which I have not ridden at all, a real hanger queen. LOL It has been suggested that If I am going to pull the cylinders, to go in and replace the bearings as well. I never split the cases on a bike in a long time. How much of a pain is it?? If I get in there, I'm upgrading something for sure. Probably not the connecting rods but something performance. Any suggestions.

I'm gonna be happy with 80hp. It has yosh cams already. I'm thinking Busa pistons, head bolts, and maybe flatslides if I don't go into the engine.

My reason for looking at the engine is that I just want to make sure everything is OK and that it will be reasonbly reliable.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What is your goal with the motor? SS or SBK?

If SBK upgrade the connecting rods first. They are the weak point. After that it REALLY depends on how much you want to spend. Without fancy connecting rods you can easly do a $5-6k build. With fancy Ti rods tack on $2500 to that.

Yes I just said a very well built SV650 motor is ~$8.5k...and it'll last one season of racing. That's 1 or 2 classes a race weekend for 8 weekends. That's bare min practice time at the race weekend. That's not including track days.

If you want to go SS then check your rules to see if you can put in 1st gen rods...they are more reliable. After that deck the heads for compression. Replace the bearings. Check and replace parts in the tranny and go have fun. This *might* give you 80hp and you'll have to run race gas at 100 octane.

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

If you replace main bearings, take note that there's a rather pricey special tool you must use to press the bearings in and out. SV crank bearings are large, rpms are lower and don't wear out as fast as inline four bearings.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Pull it apart, and Plastigauge the bearings.
    If you do not need to replace the case bearings, don't.
    The most difficult part of putting it back together, is setting the timing.
    Other than that, it's pretty easy.
    I would replace the rods also.

5. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Can't plastigauge the case bearings. You can measure them, I've found that with the crank in place, if you just wiggle the end up and down, if it moves, it's probably over .002" and if it does not move it's good to go, unless the surface is scored. They last a long time.

I've never had a stock rod break, even on SB motor. Crank, yes.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would also suggest looking around here. http://www.twfracing.com/vbforums/index.php

That forum specializes in SV's and the owner, Zoran, is very knowledgeable on them. I'm not implying RM and AFM199 aren't, just another source for you to learn about them.

You can build a good Gen 1 SV and make about 80HP with degreed early model and late model intake cams, thinner head gasket, possible head decking, and flatslides. Cranks break occasionally. However, people in the know, say there is less chance of that if you remove the heavy flywheel/rotor.

You don't have to spend 5-8K, but if you do, you can make more horsepower and evidently blow up a bunch.

7. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Zoran remains one of the most knowledgable people working on SVs in the world.

8. etemplet

I contacted him about the engine. He suggested I replace the bearings while I had the cylinders off. My post questioned the difficulty of the job and what would be cool to upgrade while I am in there. I talked to Z about it and he gave me his thoughts. I am only looking in the case to determine if everything is OK.

No Superbike build for me. :tut: Relability and reasonable performance is what I am about. :beer:

9. weig17

weig17 Well-Known Member

:) wera west LWT Superstock and Superbike seems to be dominated by some guy running a modestly built superstock engine from Spears Racing...
    ( spearsenterprises.com )

Gregg has been fantastic to work with this season and his SV's are kicking butts all over the world. If you are building your own, i would definitely recommend you order up his lightened rotor and starter clutch as well as looking into some of the other easily bolted on performance parts.
    I run 50/50 pump and VP 4.4 on a very mild SS engine and its putting out good power and is extremely reliable.

10. weig17

weig17 Well-Known Member

"No Superbike build for me. Relability and reasonable performance is what I am about. "

Building an $8k ticking time bomb is not on my list of to dos..

personally I would be much happier with just getting a nice fresh superstock engine with nothing super crazy done to it that will last you a long time. It's way more satisfying to outride and beat superbikes when you know you are on a basically stock setup. ;)

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Who is that and what you calling domination?

12. etemplet

DAt's whut I'm talkin about !! LOL

13. etemplet

I'm with you on that. I much perfer lightly modified. This bike has yosh cams. I'm thinking of doing the Busa Pistons upgrade. Z suggested I change the bearings. I feel I need to look in the cases just to make sure everything is OK. I'm into reliability but if there is something cool I can do while I am in there...

I'm lookin at flatslides, but am told you lose midrange. Is there a down side to FLAT slides ?? I also want the charging system to work.

14. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Get the flatties. Forget the CV carbs. Tha'ts bullshit about the midrange.

The only problem you will have with splitting the cases is getting a rotor puller for $20 or buying a big bolt. That's all you really need. I've broken an engine down, rebuilt the trans and put it back together and in a bike in one day. Very long day. With help. Won't ever do it again.

15. etemplet

My kinda guy, LOL. I have a lathe at home and allot of equipment and have always machined the parts I needed at home pretty quick. However, for $20.00 I'm certainly not opposed if it saves me time.

I really appreciate the input, I do allot of research but there is nothing cooler than discussion on an individual's specific situation.

By they way, tomorrow is my last day at Chevron, I am retiring. :up: Now I will be able to work on my bikes and go to track days when I want to. Yea buddy !! :D :D Finally got a track close to the house too, NOLA motorsports. Double yea Buddy !!

16. weig17

weig17 Well-Known Member

you know how to access the results page by now, i am sure of it :)

now.. if you and your gang would get off the internet and get on the darn wera west grids I would not have to race myself each weekend. :Poke:

17. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I did access it, in lwsb you finished 5th, 7th, 1st and 3rd so far. Not something I would call domination. :)

18. weig17

weig17 Well-Known Member

How did i do in supersport... and what is the overall standing?

19. weig17

weig17 Well-Known Member

You have talented riders and great bikes... but they are very rarely on the grids. We need sv s..... come play

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

If you really want competition, maybe you should consider going to it, rather than it coming to you.

That said, look for some comp in Kern County.