1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV clutch release lever question...

Discussion in 'General' started by bookmd, Nov 19, 2002.

1. bookmd

bookmd Well-Known Member

Ok....so I'm changing my gearing for the first time in anticipation of the NFMP tack weekend coming up...going down a tooth in the front for 14/44 on my '01SV
    I change the front sprocket without difficulty...
    I'm putting the clutch release assembly and its support plate back together when I notice a (roughly) 3mm bearing laying on the floor (which I swept just before tooling).
    Now...it looks like it fits in the clutch release lever....there's even a dimple in the clutch push rod that looks like it should set in (I'm guessing to reduce friction/wear)...
    Problem is...I don't see any mention of it in the Suzuki Service Manual...
    Any of you SV riders out there seen anything like this...?
    I put it in there...clutch seems to be working fine riding around the block...

Thanks in advance,
    Eric

2. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

If you mean a ball from a ball bearing then it fel out of the release mechanism. If you take it off you see the piece that's moving in and out as you move the lever, take it out and check if you have all the balls in place.

3. yoshinewmn

yoshinewmn white & nerdy

Re: Re: SV clutch release lever question...

last time i looked all my balls were in place :D

4. flyboy

flyboy Guest

what Martin said.
    there is no ball between rod and mechanism.
    just like manual say.
    inside of mechanism are many of those little balls and they fall out easy.little grease will help to keep them in when installing.

5. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

Lost my little balls...

Yeah,
    I've had those damn things fall out before. They are very easy to loose too. When I take it off the shift shaft to change the front sprocket, I usually wrap a piece of duct tape around it to hold the worm drive thing in it so it doesn't fall apart and loose all my little bitty balls. :)

I don't remember anything in the service manual either, but that doesn't mean it isn't in it.....

6. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

Re: Lost my little balls...

I guess everybody had one of those BALLS fell out at one time or another... What I do when I'm messing with gearing is use a piece of safetywire to hold the assembly together.

7. bookmd

bookmd Well-Known Member

ok...so I put the ball in between rod and mechanism...
    I don't suppose it'll just work its way back into the mechanism...?
    I guess I need to disassemble and try to fit the damn thing in the mechanism?

Eric

8. WERA82

Eric,
    When you pull the shift mechanism of the shift shaft, rotate the rear of it off while holding the front of it still. The worm drive will "unscrew". Look down into the mechanism and you will see a bunch of the little balls sticking out thier little holes. You should see one hole (or more if you lost more than one) empty. That's where it belongs. Like was suggested before, a little grease on the ball will help hold it in place while you reassemble.....

Hope this helps.

9. bookmd

bookmd Well-Known Member

ok, last question...promise...
    Cool, I can do that...
    If I've lost one, or a couple though, how critical is replacement?...and is there a good place to get 'em?
    Eric

10. WERA82

Bearing replacement

I'm sure you can order them at your local Suzuki dealership. I imagine you wouldn't want to loose too many of them. I imagine it may cause the clutch to feel rough or bind when pushing on the shift shaft.

11. bookmd

bookmd Well-Known Member

Addendum:
    took it apart, found the bearing right where I put it, took it out, put it where it belongs...
    clutch was MUCH easier to adjust properly.
    Thanks for all the help guys!
    See some of ya'll at NFMP?
    Eric