1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV Clip-on Question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by wera176, Feb 27, 2003.

1. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Ok, I've got these nice new Pro-flo clip-ons that I bought off a fellow BBSer. The question that I have is how to keep the throttle (stock) assembly from turning? I have to apply some pressure to get it to rotate, but it will turn. The previous owner of this SV hit something pretty hard (thanks! salvage = cheaper than new!) and managed to break the little "dowel" that is built into the grip, so I can't just drill a hole for that. One thought was to build up the clip-on with some electrical tape to give the assembly something to bite. Another thought was to drill a small hole in the bottom of the assembly and the clip-on and run a small (1/4-20 for example) bolt through it, basically serving the same function that the little dowel had... I'm sure I'm not the first to run into this, what other things have you tried?

Also, on the left grip, glue or just safety wire and bar-ends?

Thanks!

2. hmpmark

hmpmark Member

Same thing happened to me on the throttle housing. Drill the hole and run a bolt through the housing. Worked for me for the entire season last year. Safety wire on the left grip seems to work fine.

3. wera176

Thanks!

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Use aerosol hair spray to install the grips. Glad you like the clip ons :D

5. wera176

Hey Tristan! That's an interesting idea, I suspect that would make them easier to remove than say glue in the event I need to replace the clip-on. I'll have no trouble getting hairspray around my house! ;)

And yes, I do like them, I'll know better in a month when I get to try 'em out on the track. I'm sure I'll be fine since I never rode the bike with the stock ones to get used to them.

Also, to any of you thinking to buy some of the other stuff Tristan was selling for SVs, he did good by me, I believe you can trust him. (Little plug for ya!) ;)