1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV 650 wiring race trim

Discussion in 'General' started by WERA 591, May 6, 2000.

1. WERA 591

WERA 591 Well-Known Member

Has anyone eliminated the wiring on their SV down to the basics for racing? I have, and am stumped as to why the engine turns and I have power to the coils, but do not have a spark at the plugs. there is a signal coming from the generator to the black box but not coming out of the box to interrupt the coils. I have done this to a Hawk and an EX with no problems. I think I am missing something obvious. Needing suggestions. Thanks

2. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

are you getting a signal from the signal generator (crank shaft) to the black box?

3. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

sorry i missed the one line that stated that you do.
    if you know someone else with a sv swap black boxes and see if there bike runs with your black box to make sure it is not fried. check to make sure your coils are hooked up right and check all your grounds.

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

There's a 100 ohm resistor somewhere in the ignition circuit that has to be there or the bike won't fire. The following is taken from a post on the SV list. Haven't done it myself, so all the usual disclaimers apply.

Rich

when i made my "minimal" wiring harness i put a 100 ohm resistor between the
    orange/red tracer and the ground wire coming out of the ignitor box, whether
    this was needed in my case i don't really know, but the harness works great !
    hope it helps you.

5. WERA 591

Thanks Joey and Rich for your help. Joey, I have swapped out the black box with another SV and gone over the remaining wiring and grounding more times than I care to count. I'm running out of hair to pull out.
    Rich, your idea has come up before in my search for answers so I think this is what I'll try next. I'll let you know.
    Dean

6. midliferacer

midliferacer Brett

Found a site called svrider.com. You might be able to get some info there.

Brett

N #27

7. WERA 591

Thanks for all the help. The mystery is solved. There is a 100 ohm resistor in the ignition switch that is used as a theft prevention device. ( keeps thief from shorting switch to start bike by preventing spark)The resistor is a 100 ohm, .5 watt, 5% tolerance. Readily available at Radio Shack, part number 271-1108. Solder resistor between orange/red tracer from CDI and ground and voila, the SV lives. Thanks to Zoran Vujasinovic from Team Fog Racing for this info.

8. WERA 591

A follow up to that last post I forgot to mention. If you leave your ignition switch intact you don't have to add resistor, it's in the switch. You only need the resistor if you take the ignition switch off.

9. joey-95v

joey-95v Registered

congatulations, isnt electrical work fun.

joey