1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV 650 Motor Dies--help with diagnosis

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SV81, Dec 18, 2006.

1. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Now look what you started Sean.:eek: HaHa
    All you ned to say is "STEELERS SUCK!" or "Somethings wrong with my engine!" and you start a shitstorm. You have a gift my friend.:bow:
    Hope you figure out whats wrong with the motor.
    Pete

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Oh how I miss the SV class ... :D

3. sln

sln Slow LWT newb

This kinda begs a question: Where does one go to learn to build high-zoot engines? University mechanical engineer courses touch on most of the topics above, but there's not a whole lot of application. Is learning more of an apprecenticeship at an engine shop where you basically do a standard package of upgrades that result in known performance gains, and then after they're all done, you stick it on the dyno and see what numbers pop up?

Are building performance engines (as we know it, as a hobby more or less) just the application of a few years of experience, knowing whats going to be the most likely to fail and then either beefing that up or replacing it?

Obviously the big engine builders and/or race teams are going to have in-house engineers and testing facilities. I'm just wondering what the credentials of Joe Enginebuilder on the WERA BBS are, besides number of wins or championships that were won on bikes with said engines.

Maybe I'm making too much sense here.

4. davetlr

davetlr Well-Known Member

I feel your pain eddie. The guy admited he has copper in his oil in the beginning of the thread. Then, all of the sudden guys with magical wrenches are saying to do a leakdown test cause you have a tweeked valve. Holy hell, maybe the damn spun a rod bearing or something like that. just a guess, but I don't have the magical wrenches.

5. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

Come on back Eddie!!

Good luck Sean. please don't get a 1000........

6. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

Dont worry...it wont be anything with the words SV in it. Plans have changed, all my SV parts will be available for sale and I have an ass load of brand new stuff that was going on the 2007, including NEW armour bodies body work etc..and I have rear sets for a SV1000.

7. PistolPete

So what are your new plans?

8. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

Still LW, but better bike, I think it will be

9. PistolPete

Hyyosung?:Poke: :D

10. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

No..no hyosungs

11. PistolPete

Is it a secret? I picked up a GSXR750 that a friend of mine wrecked. I'll be trying that out this year. Maybe you come over to the dark side too. Inline-4's highside time!

12. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

check your pm in a few minutes

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Keeping it secret so the other 5 LW riders don't know what you're runnin' Sean? :D

I'm guessing you're going with the Kawi if staying lightweight. Good luck if so. Chris Knight ran well this past year on his.

14. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

Youre a funny man Ed :D No big seceret, just wanna get ready before hand. It's not a Kawi though.

15. PistolPete

I was wondering if you were petitioning Mongo for permission to run your Harley in lightweights. Even if you could, I doubt your chaps and leather vest would pass tech.:D

16. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

My Harley is tough, and hails from the badlands

17. rugbymook

You going Italian????

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

You asked a good question. Anyone can go to a tech school to learn how to be a motorcycle mechanic and, for anyone that has mechanical talent, might be a pretty good line mechanic working at a dealership. A few of these students will go on to become really good mechanics with a future working for the factories or some of the larger race teams. Unless things have changed during the last 15 or so years most of the race team mechanics are real gearheads that grew up working and playing with engines of all kinds and feel that anything mechanical deserves to be taken apart and inspected. It's a curiosity that can't be suppressed. That is exactly how they become good mechanics. A curious mechanic will always look at an item that works perfectly and wonder how they can make it work better.
    You can bet that there are a bunch of really good mechanics and engine builders on the BBS. :up:

19. rugbymook

Don't make me post a few pictures...............................

20. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

in my opinion championships dont say much about engine builder.engine is just one part of it.you can win championship on bone stock motor without engine builder.you can also win championship while having number of blown motors in garage.it is whole package that wins and at our club level biggest part is rider.
    so,if I tell you I won more championships than Ed it really does not mean that much.that is the way I see it.