1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV 650 Motor Build

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dmurphy48, Oct 9, 2009.

1. dmurphy48

dmurphy48 Well-Known Member

06 SV 650 with a Yosh full System and power commander. I am looking at building this to a 85 hp bike. I have talked to a few builders but looking to get opinions from anyone that has built up the 2nd gen motors. I have looked for a 3mm overbore kit but it seems Wiseco is the only one that makes that kit. Is there a reason that the 3mm has fallen out of favor (overheating, etc...) vs 2mm kit. Also has anyone done the cam swap (intake on both sides) on the 2nd gen motor? I did it on my old 01 and it worked fine, but wasn't sure with the new motors. After looking at aftermarket cam prices I am leaning towards just swapping the stock cams to save some cash.

Thanks

Dale

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

3mil leaves the cyl walls thin and the surface area for the headgasket is not that great, prone to blowing head gaskets. I recommend Carillo rods if you're going for 85hp. If not, make sure you have a really good belly pan to catch all the oil when you ventilate the cases! A hi-comp 2mil kit with the cam swap will get u there if it's built by the right guy. You can also have your 39mm throttle bodies punched out to 42mm but it won't give you as much as 41mm flat slides. The real engine builders will chime in here soon.
    I have 1st gen intakes on my exhaust side. I can't tell u how it works, my SB motor is still on the workbench waiting to be installed.

3. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

get rid of the yosh system. the leo and m4 made 3 and 4 more hp.
    you need to put rods in it. like regulaguy said or you will be buying a new motor.
    just 2mil kit is fine for 85hp.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  4. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

A month or two ago we had a pretty good SV650 discussion here on this very subject, should find it w/a search. 85hp is easy, 677 kit with G2/G1 cam combo and ported heads will do the job. Rods and crank work are a Good Idea, APE studs and cam sprockets are mandatory. I build quite a few to the above spec, they work nice and don't need a lot of maint.

As CB500 said, the Yosh has to go. I'm partial to M4 on the SV's, the Leo works great but some folks drag the collector.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

If I remember correctly, we got 80hp with mild porting, bumping the compression, and doing the cam swap.That was with a LV full system.
    All that, with 1mm over, and flat slides should bring you close to 85hp.
    Since you are close to Reno, I would contact Zoran about building your engine.

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

you can get 85 out of a stock bore engine!

i have done plenty of big bore and standard kits as well as ss builds.

a stock bore motor i have out there has

polished crank
    ape studs
    busa pistons (not even decked the cyl)
    cam swap and flat slides.

this was a first en and is over a year old now with NO problems.

pM BLUEFLSV on here for recommendations on my build!

good luck
    rob
    www.danddcycles.com:up:

7. raven21

raven21 Well-Known Member

talk to benprobst

8. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

without taking any material off the heads and/or cylinders?

9. dmurphy48

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I ended up picking up a used Leo Vince exhaust yesterday and I should have a set of 2mm pistons this week. My next step is just figuring out if I can get away with the cam swap and race fuel or if I need to get some aftermarket cams. Anyone use Megacycle's stage III cams? They seem reasonably priced. Spears cams come with a great reputation but with the required springs and adjustable sprockets they are pushing $1300.

10. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Yeah, they get buzzed a little in the mill. ;)

11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

no need to get big cams for 85hp with a 2mm kit. DO the G2/G1 cam swap and you'll be good. What's the comp ratio with the pistons?

12. dmurphy48

13:1 with JE Pistons. When you say the G1/G2 swap, I assume you mean the stock cam swap (intake for intake and exhaust)?

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Gen2 intake in intake/ Gen1 intake in exhaust.

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Question. Do you want that 85hp at sea level or in Denver?

15. dmurphy48

Sea level. Getting a true 85 hp in Denver (actually now I am in Utah but the same elevation) ain't worth it.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Yeah I was thinking. :)