1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV 03 Crank Survey

Discussion in 'General' started by nolan, Dec 17, 2004.

1. nolan

nolan Well-Known Member

Where did your 03 crank break? Flywheel side? Clutch side? Connecting Rod Journal? Alabama?

Thanks

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

rod broke on mine. not the crank.

3. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Rods (2 seperate engines)

4. Suff

Suff Well-Known Member

Crank. Flywheel side right at the cam chain gear where it has been is hardened. Multiple breaks last season.
    Suff

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

One rod failure (ugly)

One crank failure - flywheel side.

I haven't seen it on any other side. I've been thinking about building a little application that tracks all the 03 SV failures and sending it to Suzuki ..

6. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

This isn't building my confidence... :(

Were these all stock engines? or were there mods beyond the standard stuff?

7. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Hey Eddie, that Application is called a spreadsheet. :Poke:

Kris what did Morgan say to you about the '04? They fixed teh problems in the '04 model or something?

-Steve

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I meant a web app where people would go and enter in a bunch of information pertinent to the failure. Then anyone could come in and query the results. I built the form actually .. Just haven't finished it ..

The 04 .. ha .. From what I've heard, there's nothing even different with the '05s. When I last talked to Morgan, he had sent all my broken parts over to the "engineers" ..

9. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

You have a DB schema setup or were you just going to store the data in flat files? I gotta futz with some stuff for work this weekend and since it's going to be to cold to really venture outside for much I could finish something up while I'm sitting around writing code.

We'll see what happens if either of the '04s that run out of the shop upchuck and die. Hopefully they won't.

-Steve

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I just moved what I have over if you want to take a look:

http://www.witchkraftracing.com/projectSV/

It's obviously not finished. Text, images, and a bunch of other stuff, but you kinda get the idea. The contact page isn't done and the DB isn't there, but it just adds a record that you can view on the "View Listings" page. It's a simple Access DB and I haven't really done anything special with it.

Take a look though .. I might have missed a good question or two.

The main question though .. Is it worth finishing? Would people use it?

11. DK30

DK30 New Member

what clerances are you using on these rods? i have an 02 motor that i was blowing rods on last year then i started running em loose, like .002- .003 and havnt had a problem since. i have broken cranks on the 02 motor. one at the fly wheel and one in the middle of one of the jounals. but the bike was making 93 HP. i've figured that w/ that much HP a billet crank is the way to go to keep it together longer.

12. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Falicon!!!!$2300;)

13. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Please don't jinx my piece of shit 03. I hate it enough as it is.

14. jlawrider

jlawrider Well-Known Member

I've rencently parked an 03 sv650 in my garage, all this info is now making me nervous.

ekraft84-i pitted next to you at nelson this past year, the weekend we had the track open all day on friday. I had a yellow/blk gsxr #89. Anyways, i think your contact page will be awesome. I would love to find out more on the engine faliures, and possible be able to take some preliminary precautions with others experience.

15. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

From what I hear in the pits and reading on this board, unfortunately ..... ALL Stock motors!

16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

What all SV racers need to do, is to tear down the engine while we are in the off season.You need to have the crank and rod magnifluxed and balanced.$400 to save you $1500.

17. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Thanks man .. Maybe I should put some effort into finishing it ..

18. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

In a case where a motor is known to have what could potentially be a safety issue,wera should allow carrillo rods,even in superstock

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I talked with Morgan at the GNF about this.WERA changed the rules last year to be closer to the other orgs rules that run SV Cup races. So all the orgs would have to make such a change.
    Out ot the 10 or so SVs that I've owned, I've had 1 crank failure.
    My 02 Superbike with Carillo rods finally blew a few months ago, and that was because some instructions were not followed, or passed down to the person that bought it from the person I sold it to:eek: :confused:
    Both the Huey built and the one that I built snapped rods,because of 2mm pistons.
    I tear my engines down every 4 races, and have the crank and rods checked.
    But I will be spending a buttload of cash building the endurance engine.Which will include Falicon prepared crank and rods.

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Really though Gary, you're not part of the sampling of people with engine failures. Yours have come because of building the engines mostly. 95% of the scenarios I've seen have been with Superstock motors.

I agree with you. Cranks and rods are the way to go, but there really shouldn't be that many problems with the newer motors to being with. I think Morgan and most everybody agrees with this; it's just a matter if anything will be done to correct it.