1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki wiring harness

Discussion in 'General' started by sturges, Jul 30, 2002.

1. sturges

sturges Member

Help! I built a racing harness (from a stock one) for my SV650 and it doesn't work. It's got to be some type of safety interlock for the ECU but I'm stumped. Does anyone have any insight into the ECU safety interlocks, or have a connection with the Suzuki electrical engineer??

Rich
    Team Charm Racing

2. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

what all is connected?
    Do you have any power at all?
    Did you disable the clutch and sidestand interlocks?
    Is the battery charged? (Don't ask, 'cause I wont tell)

Lee
    Duct tape master

3. sturges

sturges Member

See the attached wiring diagram. Bold lines represent the racing harness I built. Idea is to minimize, so only fuse is main, and the kill switch acts as key. Water temp is a separate unit not shown on this diagram.

All parts work since I can plug in the 'stock' harness (modified to override clutch/sidestand interlocks) and the bike runs fine.

When I switch to racing harness, there is power to the coils, ECU, etc, but no spark when you crank the engine. Only two wires I don't understand are the neutral interlocks out of the ECU (G/Bl and R/Y) but on the stock harness, the bike runs fine with the neutral connect unplugged.

I'm baffled.

4. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

can ya post your diagram? It seems to be missing. I am about to go to my other job so I will check it out when I get home, though it may be tomorrow before I respond. Sometimes it takes a second set of eyes to look at these things. You can always email it to me. Also, does the motor turn over at all and not fire or does not turn over at all?

[email protected]

Lee

Last edited: Jul 30, 2002
  5. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

i went through the same thing with my ex.
    finally, i was told about the anti-theft device that is not shown in the wiring diagrams. i inserted a 100hms resistor and the thing fired right up.
    do not know if this helps but it is something to look into.

6. chris73

chris73 Well-Known Member

i know the gsxr's have a 10 ohm resistor in there ignition switch,and without it there will be no spark.as for fixing it you need to talk to huffdaddy

7. Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

my sv had a 100 homm resistor that went from the comp. to ground. the wiring diagram didnt show this. Measure your ign swich resistance on the curcuit that gaes from the ecm to ground (I think thats how it works) Go to radio shack and buy a resistor with that ohms rating and wire it in

8. sturges

sturges Member

Dudes-

This is exactly the info that I needed. Tonight I'll measure the ignition resistor, then install one in the ground-to-ECU connection. Now it makes sense why Suzuki has the key connect both hot and ground... anti-theft so you can't just twist the two wires together to steel the bike.

thanks one and all.
    rich

9. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Rich,

It's a 100 ohm. I have 3 left from the 5 pack I bought from Radio Shack. I'll have them with me this weekend.