Suzuki T500 Racer?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Repeater, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Repeater

Repeater CVMA #210

Hey fellas,

I have a real stupid idea of turning a few laps with my 1974 Suzuki T500. She needs allot of work. I need engine builder references and well suspension guys. Drums are staying though.

Crazy idea but I should not be racing at all so here goes with another adventure.

BlueR32 likes this.
  2. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Go for it man!.....Can-Am on here, Ron Raven, the promoter for the "Concour" has a T500 that he is bringing back to factory specs as a "Ron Grant Replica"....Ron Grant was an AMA privateer of the era.

I dont think you need to go to the lengths that Ron Raven has to get it on track.....his agenda is alittle different than just getting on track.

Raven has done everything to his T500......Tracked down elusive parts that were custom made at the time.

Contact Ron. He is not shy or hording of information one bit!.....I think he has a parts pile too.

Good luck!

PS....I still think the T500 front drum is the best brake for racing a cb350.....just need to keep an eye on the cracking near those webs / gussets.

yamageezer likes this.
  3. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

I raced one a few years ago with USCRA plus a couple of races w. ahrma. luckily the seals where good so I just replaced pistons and rings. other things included : 34mm carbs, power dynamo ig. titan chambers, center plug heads, titan rearsets, fork brace, air caps, 18" alloy rims, t-350 swingarm and rear shocks, scitsu tach, tr 500 tank and fuel tank and I think the rear tail was yam tz (500/750) etc. . it was a very easy bike to race. lots of midrange for a 2 stroke and not a high rev'r . I wish I hadn't have sold it. ive been trying to buy it back w/ no luck[​IMG]

yamageezer likes this.
  4. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

sundial Suzuki is a good forum for info too

5. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

yamageezer likes this.
  6. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

I just go the new engine fired this weekend. It still needs a lot of tuning to be track ready. Hopefully it will run in the Concours de Competition on July 4 at Barber. Bring your T500 out. I still have a lot of parts. Ed Toomey rebuilt my crank and has two cores for rebuilds. What do you need to get it going?