1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki DS80 carb and overall maintenance question????

Discussion in 'Tech' started by XFBO, Sep 16, 2015.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

So I just picked up '99 (possibly '00) DS80 for ma boy. :D

He's pretty stoked about the bike, as I am watching him grow, ability wise, it's his first clutch bike!

I haven't kept up with dirtbikes in ages, so I asked it's owner if they pre-mix the fuel or if it has an injector pump (like my first dirtbike (DS100) had) she proceeds to tell me it's mixed, not separate like the dirtbike she grew up riding. The ad said it needed new "fuel tubes" cuz it's leaking and the idle needs adjusting/tuning.

Fast forward about an hour later, I get home and start looking it over.

First thing I notice is that the idle is adjusted with the choke in the ON position.....sigh.

Second, it does indeed leak on occasion when not running but NOT because of a leaky hose but what I believe to be a sticking float or shot float needle. If anyone has history with this specific model I'd love to hear any other ideas???

Third, I pop the seat off and immediately spot the oil injector tank...another big sigh with some concern if the motor running with a dbl dose of oil has damaged anything. Gave my buddy a call who is faar better versed on 2 strokes than I am and he kinda brushed it off as a non issue. Saying if anything, it'll foul plugs quicker and/or smoke more. Indeed it does that.

So with that being said, he suggested I give the injector pump a look over to be sure it's working so I don't Pickled Egg ie. blow up the motor. I asked since the dbl dose of oil doesn't seem to harm the motor if it'd be advisable to just mark off the oil level on the oil tank and run a tank or two of premix through it, if it stays the same we know the injector pump isn't working properly, if it does lower we know it works??? He said that would work too...what do y'all think? Decent way to go about troubleshooting that or???

I checked the level last night and it's dropped about a 1/4" so I'm guessing we're good to go. SO I drain the tank, top off with straight gas and WOW, this thing is smoking soooo much less than before!

I took it for a short test ride and it appears as if it's running crappier than before, specifically, in the mid level revs it seems to break up. Any ideas???

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Partially fouled plug maybe?

Also what viscosity crankcase oil are you guys running in these lil bikes??? Like I said it's been awhile and I got no manual!!! Might buy this digital Cyclopedia Manual on Amazon for $25....anyone got those??? Any good???

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I owned a PW80 with a tank and pump that wouldn't start. What happened is the fuel and oil mix would run through the engine and collect in the pipe bends. Then the gas would evaporate and leave the oil blocking the exhaust pipe. LOTs of smoke at start up, then it would choke itself and stall. Never really ran right, until I figured out the excess oil. So, if you have too much oil in the mix it's a) lean and b) possible that excess oil has built up in the pipe bends. Pull off the pipe and see if any oil drains out. Then look into the pipe mouth and see if there is a washer in the pipe entrance to reduce performance. If so, pull it out. Then start jetting for mid range, which is (typically) needle position. Raise the needle (lower the clip) to make it richer at that throttle opening, lower the needle (raise the clip) to make it leaner. See which way makes it run better, then leave it.

Good luck!

4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

TY....I don't think I have any blockages. Seeing how the goofballs adjusted the idle screw to a choke on position, God knows what other screws they turned on there.

I think the best next move is to take the plug out and see what shape that's in and pop the carb off and break it down some to see if the jets are clean or partially clogged and the float/float needle. Going to Amazon to see if there's a carb kit of sorts.

Thnx for the info!

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ok so I took the carb off 2 days ago. Jets did not appear to be clogged. Checking the float height measurement, it appeared to be waaaayyyy off the mark (which is roughly 25mm). So I adjusted the tab in hopes to get it closer to that measurement and hope it'd resolve the gas spewing problem. Cleaned it all up and put it back together.

I checked the a/f screw, found it to be at roughly 1 turn out, researching a bit seems to show it should be closer to 1.5 turns out. Took it for a test spin and it didn't seem right, turned it in a 1/4 turn and I THINK it runs better.

Kid takes it out, says it feels weird/different than before, when I notice it's still spewing fuel out the bowl hose.....HELP???

I don't feel comfortable with him riding the thing if it's spewing fuel nor do I feel like tuning the thing while it's making a mess. If someone can give me some suggestions to fix the spewing I'd REALLY appreciate it????

Also, since I had the carb out, is the bike smart enough to inject enough oil in the carb/motor or am I suppose prime the system? I really don't need the headache of blowing this motor up because of that...since I anticipate breaking down the carb again.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have to prime. The injection system will take care of it, and there is enough residual oil in the engine.

I bought a used Honda Spree 2 stroke. It wasn't running good. A mechanic told me to remove the pipe and start towards the first curve and heat it red with a torch. You will start burning out all the crude inside and the red zone will move through the pipe to the back. I don't think I had to continually add additional outside heat.

He said he learned that trick while working at a Honda dealership. They did it all the time on little 2 strokes.

7. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Always prime the pump and make sure there are no air pockets in the lines. Always. Better yet, block off the pump and pre-mix it.

8. triplestrong

Keep in mind, you need to plug the nip on the carb where the oil line was connected, as well.

9. Boman Forklift

All I can say is I currently own 5 two strokes with injection pumps and have owned many before, if all you did was remove carb for cleaning you should be ok. Assuming it worked before.

Priming won't hurt, and is good, but I presume you didn't know how to do that, nor do you have a manual.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  10. triplestrong

Sorry, yes, if only the carb was removed, you'll be fine. I still say block it and pre mix it. I've rebuilt plenty of motors because someone didn't clean or notice the debris around the filler cap and it made it's way into the pump (not pretty). Just a suggestion...

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys....I didn't want to consider altering anything but how involved is it to block the pump off?

12. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

you can block of the pump by disconnecting the lines, plug the line to the carb at the carb. then loop the output from the pump to the inlet and make sure you leave some pre-mix in the line so you don't burn the pump up. and if I'm not mistaken, it should be 32 to 1 mix. adjust carb accordingly.

that's the way I have always done them, but some one might have a better mod.

13. Boman Forklift

:up:

No Problem. I agree premix is safer, until you forget. Most of mine are scooters for the race track or little fun dirt bikes, but I've had two RG500 Gammas and a Honda NS400R that had injection pumps with no issues. I'm to lazy to premix, unless it is a race bike, or a motocross bike. Also, If I loan out a bike with injection, I'm pretty certain it will come back fine, whereas a novice with premix, will probably forget to put the oil in the tank.

14. JonnyNoDoze

JonnyNoDoze New Member

I also bought my 8 year old a 96 DS80. Ran into a lot of bad (details) when buying. I had the same issue with leaking only when the fuel was turned off. I put a new carb kit on it and still have the same problems.

15. JonnyNoDoze

JonnyNoDoze New Member

Also for some reason I can't adjust the clutch? Any ideas on that? It feels like I have about a half inch between engaged and not

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Bike that age my first guess is the clutch is shot. Easy to pop it apart and have a look.

17. This. Did that with my kids pw, my fear was oil pump taking a dump then no warning before it grenades itself. I always have 2 stroke mixed so that wasn't an issue. Plus with pre mixing you know exactly what it's getting.

18. Come on Rob, you're a race dad. Labels man, labels!!! On a small little one like that loaning it out I'd be more worried about it running out of oil. I'm pretty anal when it comes to stuff like that but lots of people are not, saw it happen a xoupke months ago where a guy let his kids pw run out of oil. He said you don't fill it often so he just got used of gas and go which I could see. Good thing about Merica is you are free to have a choice, even though yours is wrong :) JK.