1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suspension upgrade question 06 GSXR 750

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Sb polo, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Sb polo

Sb polo Well-Known Member

I am interested in racing in Wera next season. I currently have a 06 GSXR 750. could i get away with just dialing in my stock suspension to my weight? does spending almost 2k on a suspension make that much of a difference? Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if you can ride the bike without any notice of deficiency...then do it. Had a friend that was light enough for stock R6 suspension and he did relatively well. Of course now he rides at a level that suspension IS the first thing on the list of his new racebikes. That vintage gsxr has plenty of good used /serviceable aftermarket components available for about 1/2 your estimated cost. Just look around.

Ive turned a few laps on that year 750 with carts & a penske rear and the bike was very compliant. On my 1k the rear would pogo on acceleration with a stock rear shock

Sb polo likes this.
  3. Sb polo

thank you for the advice on this.

4. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

If you're within the weight range of the stock stuff it will do well enough. The GSXR really needs to be raised further up on the front than the stock forks allow though.

Sb polo and ducnut like this.
  5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Suspension is super important in every type of racing, whether or not you need the high end shit (yet) is kind of up to you and your skill base. I would say unless your getting some unwanted attribute of handling you can't resolve with tuning there likely use to spend the money (unless you want to). Plainly saying, the great shit isn't any better unless it's properly tuned for what you want it to do.

Sb polo likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m pretty-much in agreement.

There’s quite a bit of used stuff floating around. Where things get blurry is when the shock you’re looking to purchase needs a respring and revalve on top of the purchase price. Many times, you’ll be within a couple hundred of a new piece (8983 is ~$1K. Used is ~$500, plus ~$200 for service, plus ~$150 for spring and valving, and you’re at ~$850, plus shipping costs. A new 8975 is more affordable than this rebuild example). And, most owners don’t service them like they should, so there can be excess wear and component replacement, which means a new shock would’ve been a better investment. Further, buying a new shock from a reputable shop who knows GSXR setup tricks will allow you to get something beyond a used, stock replacement and get setup info, on the side.

For forks, your best bet is to just have them done by a shop. The only way I can see saving money is if you knew of a team selling a set that is fresh and fully setup to you. Graves, Attack, Westby, Hammer, and the like, will do that. However, you’re looking at older stuff and most have moved on. I’d just contact Traxxion, Thermosman, etc, and see what they offer for the frontend or in packages with a shock (Traxxion has done discounted winter deals, in the past). They’ll put the tubes in a lathe, check runout, straighten if needed, install all new bushings and seals, upgrade the valves, springs, and so forth. What you receive for the money is actually quite cost effective. You don’t really need to go all-in with AK-20/Ohlins/K-Tech/etc cartridges. Plenty of really fast riders flogging basic setups. As with the shock, the suspension shop should know the setup tricks.

Suspension is your best bang for the buck. Given your bike is older and you didn’t mention it, I’m going to guess your suspension has never been serviced, since you’re asking about setting it up. If you really like the bike, I’d bite the bullet and get the suspension done. While the frontend is off, replace the head bearings with an All Balls tapered bearing kit. While the shock is out, pull the swingarm and go though the swingarm and linkage bearings and service them. Check your wheel bearings for any noticeable feeling of texture/roughness, while turning them. Go through your brake system, as well. The track eats pads. Make sure your pistons and seals are scrubbed clean and your pads are fresh. If your bike has rubber brake lines, consider replacing them and flushing the fluid for a higher rated fluid, like DOT 5.1.

Again, teaming up with a good suspension shop will help you start off on the right foot.

Sb polo likes this.
  7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

.....and if you decide that you want aftermarket suspension, i know a guy. :)

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

yes, it makes a big difference. the parts are better. the knowledge and experience behind the parts are significantly better. all that produces a motorcycle that is both faster and easier to ride around a racetrack.

however, your need to spend that $$ is very dependent on you, what you plan to do in racing, and how much u want to win. is your competition on good suspension and working with quality tuners? can you overcome deficient suspension with skill and still beat your competition? as a novice, the former is prob no and the latter is prob yes. then flip the answers when moving to expert.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

If you are mechanically inclined and don’t mind buying the tools forks aren’t rocket science. I race an 06 gsxr600 and absolutely love the bike. The rear needs lifted and the front needs lifted also. If you want to go on the cheap I’d find a good used shock that is sprung for your weight or change the spring out yourself. Traxion dynamics sells spacers to shim up the rear end for really cheap like $40 or something. Rebuild the forks put a k-tech piston kit in, some fork extenders, set your oil to 120mm. You’ll be good to go for a long time and probably come in at under a grand.

TurboBlew and Sb polo like this.
  10. Sb polo

Thanks for the advice, I’ve decided to go with the k tech spring and valves upfront and k tech spring in the rear with shims as well as traxxion fork tube extenders and go from there .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle Brosius and ducnut like this.