1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suspension question

Discussion in 'General' started by jarcoco, Mar 29, 2002.

1. jarcoco

jarcoco shimmy shimmy coco puff

i've got an f4i for this season that i bought wrecked. i'm getting some vibration through the handlebars only in left handers, nothing crazy, just enuf to make me a bit nervous in turns like 3 at roebling. if i load the front end midcorner it gets worse, unload it it lessens. she doesn't vibrate any other time. my question is: is this something that could be due setup, or should i be worried about the frame? the front end is straight cause i had gmd check it out and staighten it. (i took the front end from my old f4). my wheels and rotors are straight (i've had three different sets on and it has behaved the same) the frame is banged up on the left side near the gas tank.

2. LAR

LAR Well-Known Member

Don't load the front end mid-corner and you'll be fine [​IMG]

LAG

3. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

Put your front wheel on a balancer and check it. If balanced spin it on the machine and see if it is bent. Next would be to measure your forks and look for bends. Check the oil level in the forks. Then well you need to have the frame checked.

I had this same problem with my Gixxer and it ended up being a bad tire balance job. Re balanced it and it was smooth again.

------------------
    Sportbike Madness Racing

[This message has been edited by sportbikepete (edited 03-29-2002).]

4. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Coco, does Papa Fiesel need to make it all better [​IMG]

Up for some Five Points/Vista action tonight?

5. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

If you know the frame is straight then it definitely could be suspension. I was just talking to Critter last night and he was getting some front end chatter in turns 3 and 5 and 1/2 turn of preload on the front forks cured his problem.

Have you ever set the sag and messed with the suspension settings or just put gas in it and rode it? [​IMG]

It was nice to see you in the front part of the grid at Roebling. Keep up the good work and you'll be right up there with us cherrypickers this season. [​IMG]

6. jarcoco

yeah. i might be up for some sodas later. it is easter weekend, right? gotta booze it up on easter.

7. jarcoco

no, i put much more work into it than simply putting in gas and riding. i also changed the oil, tardholio, mr.knowitall, with your technical suspension jargon fancy-speak. [​IMG] and put some nice stickers on, etc. sag, huh? yeah thats a good idea...sag. good. good suggestion. gotta set that then, huh? ok. yeah, i guess i should ask max to reset up the bike cause i just took my stuff the old f4 and slapped it on this one. however i'm glad to report that i did apply the proper torque specifications.

8. GREG#22

GREG#22 Well-Known Member

coco you always do things to perfection. [​IMG] take it to max and let him poke and prong at it with that machine he has he will definatly find yo problem. later [​IMG]

9. WERA29

DAYUM! [​IMG] I give you a compliment and you totally go and diss me. YOU SUCK! [​IMG]

If you just threw on the old F4 stuff and didn't set your suspension then that's most likely your problem. If something was really bent or not right it would wobble all the time, not just in left handers.

Or it could be the stickers. Do you have an even number on both sides? You might have too many on the left side so put some more on the right side to even it out and the wobble should go away. [​IMG]

10. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Definitely!

11. jarcoco

oh, sorry tardholio, thanks for the compliment. but how bout my new paint job, that's what i was really diggin for. sure you might be finishing better than me, but who cares about how i can ride when my bike looks cooler than yours does. crappy grey, what is that? [​IMG] [​IMG] plus, i got stickers on my bike that totally kick your bike's stickers' ass(es). and i don't need to tell you that the chicks dig stickers. [​IMG]

12. It is kinda bothersome that is does it in left hand turns and not right hand turns...

13. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

didja check the front wheel bearings?
    take the front wheel off, insert finger, roll the bearing and see if it turns smooth or rough.....

14. jarcoco

are you gunna be at kershaw this month, max?

15. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

Maybe a/the swingarm bearing(s) are dinged?

That wouldn't show on the Computrack, and would only cause the bike to get squirly when the suspension loaded up...

James

16. dav612

dav612 Well-Known Member

Does it only happen at turn 3 at RRR? my yamaha chatters a little through 3 at RRR, but I don't really have a problem anywhere else. I certainly wouldn't say that my front end chatters. But I had a problem last year with the front end chattering and it didn't have enough rebound.

David Weber

17. WERA29

What are you, a freaking woman now hinting around for compliments? Dude, tell your woman to give you your nuts back! [​IMG]

I told you your paint job rocked at Roebling yet you're still dissing me. That's it, next time I pass you it's not going to be so nice. [​IMG] [​IMG]