1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suspension geometry questions

Discussion in 'Tech' started by apexspeed, Feb 20, 2003.

1. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

how would raising the front shocks 1" in the clamps with no other changes alter the bikes handling? specificaly,what would that do to the suspension geometry and what would I notice in the way the bike handled

I have some other related questions too but Ill save those for later.

Great to have a new WERA tech forum! hopefully we can get some excellent info biult up in the "WERA Database" here for for future referance.

thanks

/////

2. Don_728

Don_728 The dog made me do it!

If you are talking about making the forks stick out of the top of the triple clamp 1" more, you are actually lowering the front of the bike.

This will make the steering quicker, as it reduces the trail. It can also make the front tuck easier. There will also be some changes to the rear bike. It will make the swingarm angle flatter (slightly)

If you are about to make changes to the front forks try making them in 5mm increments and seeing what affect there is. 1" is a very large jump.

Don't forget to document what you do, so you can put it back if you have to ;)

Don

Last edited: Feb 21, 2003
  3. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

For sure do not drop it one inch! go easy 5 mm at a time is good. from Max's book changing the ft ride height has an effect of 5 on the turn in and a 1 on the rear.

4. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

Get the booklet about suspensions that Traxxion sells for 15 bucks, that should help you to get started. :)

5. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

thanx guys,

its a motard, 1" isnt that drastic I dont think and 5mm has no noticable difference.

another question: what would dropping the front rim size an inch do to the over-all package?

thx

/////